Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Comparitive evals for medium sized office VOIP PBX

Comparitive evals for medium sized office VOIP PBX

Me

Yep, they do run on Windows. Yes you do have multiple servers. Yes, you do
get updates from Cisco instead of Microsoft. Wrong, there are many different
platforms you can install on.
I'm not aware of any application or appliance that comes with free lifetime
support???

Do you sell Mitel??

Our system has been up 100% outside of SLA for 3 years (since install).
Having multiple servers allows you to take one or two servers down without
impacting the users. I could see having a stand alone system doing
everything, but what if that device fails. I have multiple layers of
redundancy. If our option 11 freaks, everyone is affected. I can lose 3
servers out of 5 before users are affected. As for virus's or bugs.. Cisco
releases patches that affect its application one week after MS does. I don't
know about you, but it's really nice have a vendor do the testing on patches
before they are applied to my application. It really simplifies things for
me. A fire wall in front of you voice apps?? Any semi competent network guy
could put some basic access lists in.

I'd consider all vendors. I doubt Cisco will be a good choice if you have
less than 100 users. And that's pushing it. You could look at CCM Express.
You can actually install a unity voicemail module in a Cisco router NM slot
now. So depending on your router choice, you could have your pbx and
voicemail system residing on you router. Hows that for consolidating
devices?
I'm sure Mitel guy has something to say about that. He's always got
something negative to say about anything not Mitel...

I just offered to be helpful. Wasn't trying to sell you anything. I don't
know of any direct comparisons. I know that Cisco is selling the **** of
their VOIP products. Even the open source guys realize that Cisco phones and
gateways are the way to go. Look at it this way. VOIP is IP. Cisco is the
IP king. These traditional PBX manufactures are playing catch up in the VOIP
world.

"Mitel Lurker" <wdg@[206.180.145.133]> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> writes:
>

> >Thanks, but more than specific questions about CM, I need product
> >trials and comparitive tests. Customer satisfaction surveys and
> >market shares. Stuff like that. Any links to third party product
> >evals greatly appreciated.

> Before you consider CISCO you need to be aware that their Call Manager is
> a cluster of applications all running on Microsoft SQL Server on a Wintel
> platform (Windows/Intel PC-based). Furthermore, CISCO's voicemail package
> for the CM (UNITY) requires yet another Wintel server. Need redundancy or
> resiliancy/survivability? That'll take still another server.
>
> Being Microsoft server-based means the Call Manager is open to the same
> worms, viruses, Denial-Of-Service attacks, etc as all other Windows based
> PCs. For security Cisco recommends creating a separate Firewall.
> Translation: You'll probably need another Server.
>
> Need 9-1-1 support? Yes, another server.
>
> Run a "Corporate Load" on all of your networked PCs? BZZZZZTT!! The
> Windows O/S is a CISCO-proprietary custom load. This means you will not be
> able to apply the Microsoft "Critical patches" without getting those
> patches directly from CISCO.
>
> Accustomed to using a specific Server/PC hardware platform? BZZZZTT again!
> My understanding is the Cisco CM application won't load on anything but
> CISCO proprietary hardware.
>
> Need service on it all? After the 90-day (!) warranty you'll need a
> SmartNet ($$$) contract on every component.
>
> See the direction this is headed?

Mitel Lurker

In article <HgNhd.93246$tU4.31442@okepread06> "Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Do you sell Mitel??

No I do not. I am an enduser. (COAM)

We do happen to have a CM in our communications lab, there only for sake
of comparison and tinkering. It was actually the first VOIP platform in
the shop. We bought it out of curiosity. After playing with it for a
couple years it seems like quite an expensive platform to ever consider
deploying, comparatively speaking.

380 multiline (14-line) stations (Superset 5220), 6 PRIs to the outside
world and a pair of Mitel 3300s (resilient config) including embeded
centralized voice mail is right at $180,000 installed & running. And not
so much as even one single Microsoft O/S in the call processing path. The
whole thing is managed by Mitel's OpsMan, which runs on Win2K server, but
that piece could go away without ever losing a call. I doubt we'd even
know it was down until someone tried to do a MAC. And even with the server
down we could still do the MAC via the fairly intuitive GUI interface on
the 3300.

By the way, in case you weren't aware, Mitel O/S upgrades are free. All
you pay for are new features, and then only if you want 'em. If you're not
COAM and have to go to the street for maintenance (after your initial
1-year warranty is up) there's plenty of hungry shops out there that'd
fight for the chance to service it on a T&M basis while trying to woo you
into a MA. Even on an MA, it is far less expensive than a Smartnet
contract.

Finally, Mitel's '9-1-1' application is 100% self-contained within the
3300 and can output an INTRADO-compliant datastream *without* a separate
server.

If you've ever had an old KEY System, you probably know what "Common
Ringer" is. (Multiple incoming lines all ringing one common outside bell
or yard whistle) Can the Call Manager do common ringer? Bet not.

Before anyone buys any VOIP system I would strongly recommend they talk to
their users, especially their Admins, and ask them what multiline and call
appearance and call handling features **they** need. When you get that
answer you will realize your available choices are almost anything but
Cisco.

The 14-line Mitel Superset 5220 can be expanded to either 26, 62, or 110
lines (or feature keys) and still have less than $800 invested in the
instrument.

Cisco makes some nice stuff, but they seem awfully proud of it! The poor
customer has to pay and pay and pay.