Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Is VOIP changing the world???

Is VOIP changing the world???

S.Geller

VOIP is revolutionizing the communication industry .. phone to pc .. pc to
phone.. phone to phone ... whats next.. ?

Kyler Laird

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (S.Geller) writes:

>VOIP is revolutionizing the communication industry .. phone to pc .. pc to
>phone.. phone to phone ... whats next.. ?

I'm hoping for integration with mobile telephones.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e....net&frame=off

--kyler

Pepperoni

"S.Geller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> VOIP is revolutionizing the communication industry .. phone to pc .. pc to
> phone.. phone to phone ... whats next.. ?

What's next? Ethernet over power lines looks hot. Plug your ethernet card
directly into the electric wall socket. All those expensive fiber optics
will terminate on a utility pole instead of inside each house. The time
will come when we aren't issued social security numbers; we'll be given an
IP addy at birth.

Currently available in limited areas
http://www.currentgroup.com/LearnMor...rks/index.html

I also expect this technology to open up wireless networks due to reduced
startup costs and infrastructure.

papi

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:43:42 -0400, Pepperoni wrote:

> "S.Geller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> VOIP is revolutionizing the communication industry .. phone to pc .. pc to
>> phone.. phone to phone ... whats next.. ?

> What's next? Ethernet over power lines looks hot. Plug your ethernet card
> directly into the electric wall socket. All those expensive fiber optics
> will terminate on a utility pole instead of inside each house. The time
> will come when we aren't issued social security numbers; we'll be given an
> IP addy at birth.
>
> Currently available in limited areas
> http://www.currentgroup.com/LearnMor...rks/index.html
>
> I also expect this technology to open up wireless networks due to reduced
> startup costs and infrastructure.

Actually PoE (Power over the Ethernet) is what is catching up. I am
wiring now all the new buildings this way, with either switches equipped
with PoE, or patch pannels capable of such (where switches are old
legacy), and I have more and more devices using it: access points, web
cams, building automation systems (this is BIG! for those who understand
the consequences), SCADA/industrial-manufacturing-processes automation,
etc.

What I am trying to implement next: seamless 802.11 <--> GSM
transitioning, so that same phones are used inside the building for VoIP
costs ("almost" nothing), and pay the GSM services only when moving
outside - and this part of a converged networks plan ... the technology is
here, I just (personally) have not had the chance to play with it to its
full extent.

Papi