Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Phone to VOIP

Phone to VOIP

Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

Hi all

I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point.
If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem,
the Secretary, after answering can divert the call to someone else,
but the tricky part is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company,
but Incoming call will be from a regular Phone.
I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined
maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how
that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is
possible.
What can I use ? Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.

To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
regular phone line.

Thanks

Glitch

On 21 Oct 2004 04:17:39 -0700, Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol wrote:

Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

> Hi all
>
> I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point.
> If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem,
> the Secretary, after answering can divert the call to someone else,
> but the tricky part is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company,
> but Incoming call will be from a regular Phone.
> I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined
> maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how
> that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is
> possible.
> What can I use ? Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.
>
> To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
> regular phone line.
>
> Thanks

Dmitri

Glitch wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2004 04:17:39 -0700, Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol wrote:

> Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

Skype appears to use proprietary VoIP protocol. How do you terminate this
call in Asterisk then?

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forum

Kyler Laird

Glitch <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

How do you suggest configuring Asterisk to handle Skype calls?
http://forum.skype.com/bb/viewtopic....c0547ad362375b

(Note that I'm not suggesting it makes any sense at all for someone
smart enough to use Asterisk to try to weld Skype onto it. I just
think it's misleading to claim Asterisk already handles it.)

--kyler

Glitch

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:15:53 GMT,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)mitri wrote:

> Glitch wrote:
>
>> On 21 Oct 2004 04:17:39 -0700, Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol wrote:

>> Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

> Skype appears to use proprietary VoIP protocol. How do you terminate this
> call in Asterisk then?

You¡¦re absolutely right; you will not do it if Skype is your application of
choice. But again, your question was: ¡V in your words ¡V ¡§how can VoIP
application be "combined" with a regular phone line¡¨.
Asterisk is definitely an answer to your question. There are many free
VoIP applications on the market to choose from (btw, I don¡¦t think Skype is
the best one; also you can not use any hardware IP phones with it).

Jonathan Roberts

I don't believe he was suggesting Skype's involvement. Neither was the
question the way I read it.

"Kyler Laird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Glitch <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>Asterisk is all you need. Check this out: http://www.asterisk.org/

> How do you suggest configuring Asterisk to handle Skype calls?
> http://forum.skype.com/bb/viewtopic....c0547ad362375b
>
> (Note that I'm not suggesting it makes any sense at all for someone
> smart enough to use Asterisk to try to weld Skype onto it. I just
> think it's misleading to claim Asterisk already handles it.)
>
> --kyler

Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

Thanks guys, you really got me thinking more deeply on the situation.

And to clarify the situation, I mentioned Skype first like my starting
point, not a must. I heard about this "Asterisk", and I'm starting
learning about him right now. Maybe it can fix my problem. The fact is
that I was interested an using also a Palm on the Internal network,
and 2 of my teem mates are in other country, with make me thing
integrating with Skype could be a start.
Lets se what "Asterisk" can do for me.

Thanks all for help.

Kyler Laird

"Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I don't believe he was suggesting Skype's involvement. Neither was the
>question the way I read it.

You're right. I was confused. The (bottom-quoted...) message to which
he replied made that clear. Unfortunately I didn't go that far and
instead confused it with this thread.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...Cg%40bubbanews

Thanks for catching it and correcting me.

And yes, Asterisk is the answer.

--kyler

Kyler Laird

(E-Mail Removed) (Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol) writes:

>The fact is
>that I was interested an using also a Palm on the Internal network,
>and 2 of my teem mates are in other country, with make me thing
>integrating with Skype could be a start.

Stop thinking that!

>Lets se what "Asterisk" can do for me.

Be sure to ask here if you run into anything that makes you think
Asterisk can *not* handle what Skype can.
http://www.voipdaily.com/archives/20...kype_is_no.php

As long as we're into peer-to-peer things...also note that Asterisk
now supports DUNDI
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=DUNDi
in addition to ENUM.
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....e+ENUM+entries
This is unnecessary for handling two teammates but it could come in
handy with larger groups.

--kyler

Jonathan Roberts

Kyler:

Are you aware of any good docs on using Asterisk in a home environment?

Thanks!