Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Re: How do I terminate a Skype call on a PBX?

Re: How do I terminate a Skype call on a PBX?

Kyler Laird

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)) writes:

>#1 auto answer the Skype call
>#2 generate a ring on an analog trunk
>#3 convert the sound between the soundcard output (44kHz stereo) and the
>analog trunk (3.1 KHz mono)

Gads! What is the allure of proprietary systems that entices people
to go through these contortions? Does Skype really offer anything
others don't (besides hassles)?

--kyler

Dmitri

Kyler Laird wrote:

> Gads! What is the allure of proprietary systems that entices people
> to go through these contortions? Does Skype really offer anything
> others don't (besides hassles)?

> --kyler

Umm... Cost? For outgoing connections we are already using Net2Phone,
terminated on the phone port of our Linksys router, works great. But for
incoming it will be great to have some way of using a system that does not
have monthly plan costs. Best I can think of would be Skype. If there are
alternatives, I would love to know about them.

One other thing is Skype's amazing call quality, I think I can appreciate
that. All other VoIP service providers I dealt with give you your 3.1KHz,
highly compressed, else they go out of business paying too much for
bandwidth to their providers. Skype, on the other hand, being a
peer-to-peer app can afford luxury of higher bandwidth, which accounts for
crystal clear sound that I like so much.

--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com

http://www.cabling-design.com/forum

Claudiu Hromei aka Kontrol

Hi all

I am an awful story teller so I'll get right to the point.
If someone calls on a specific number, and is for a specific problem,
the Secretary can divert the call to someone else, but the tricky part
is to use a "Voice over IP" for inside company, but Incoming call will
be from a regular Phone.
I was thinking on using Skype for inside (with USB Phones), combined
maybe with some kind of "Phone Answering Software", but don't now how
that can be connected to something like a Skype, or even if this is
possible.
Besides "SkaypeIn" if possible.
To make it shorter, how can a VOIP application can be "combined" with
regular phone line.

Thanks

Kyler Laird

(E-Mail Removed) (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)) writes:

>Umm... Cost? For outgoing connections we are already using Net2Phone,
>terminated on the phone port of our Linksys router, works great. But for
>incoming it will be great to have some way of using a system that does not
>have monthly plan costs. Best I can think of would be Skype. If there are
>alternatives, I would love to know about them.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Service+Providers

--kyler