Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Does my neighbour have to dial all 11 digits to my Lingo voip phone?

Does my neighbour have to dial all 11 digits to my Lingo voip phone?

Christian Dysthe

Hi,

I just got a voip connection from Lingo set up. It works fine. I chose
to get a new number from them. What I find strange is that I can call
locally from the Lingo phone using the last 7 digits while everyone in
my local area have to dial all 11 digits to call me. Is that right? I
wonder what would have happened if I had chosen to keep my old number,
would they still have had to call all 11 digits? I did call Lingo's
technical support, and they of course said that people had to call all
11 digits. The answer came too fast I think. I am not sure this can be
the case.

Does anyone know how these things work in the a mixed voip land line
world?

TIA

//Christian

wkearney99

11 or 10 digits? Here in the mid-atlantic (us) it's common to have to dial
both the 3 digit area code and the 7 digit number (10 total). So even when
'in' the 301 area code calling another number in 301 it's necessary to dial
the 301 area code. Calling other 'local' area codes can be done with just
their area code (202, 703, 240, etc). Calling a number in those area codes
but not 'local' requires dialing a leading 1 for long distance. This switch
came about years ago here. Other areas using 7 digit dialing apparently
still exist but I wouldn't be surprised to see it being required.

Whether or not it's related to using a VOIP connection wouldn't seem like it
should matter. Does the use of a new Carrier and number portability require
the change?

-Bill Kearney

"Christian Dysthe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I just got a voip connection from Lingo set up. It works fine. I chose
> to get a new number from them. What I find strange is that I can call
> locally from the Lingo phone using the last 7 digits while everyone in
> my local area have to dial all 11 digits to call me. Is that right? I
> wonder what would have happened if I had chosen to keep my old number,
> would they still have had to call all 11 digits? I did call Lingo's
> technical support, and they of course said that people had to call all
> 11 digits. The answer came too fast I think. I am not sure this can be
> the case.
>
> Does anyone know how these things work in the a mixed voip land line
> world?

Connect to neighbour's network =?Utf-8?B?R2VvZmZCIGluIExvbmRvbg==?= Wireless Networking 2 01-22-2006 07:50 PM
Asterix with Lingo VOIP? Joe VOIP 6 07-19-2005 03:27 PM
CDP Neighbour IP Address BNAZ Cisco 4 10-22-2004 07:01 PM
Compilation Error using ANN Approximate nearest neighbour library Travis Stewart C++ 4 06-09-2004 06:25 PM

Advertisments