Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Is Vonage support allowed to look at user call records?

Is Vonage support allowed to look at user call records?

maxi@falkirkreserve-nospam.com

Vonage webpages let me see almost instantly who I just called. But is
Vonage customer service allowed to look at my call records, or are
there regulations or privacy considerations to influence that?

avoidspam@invalid.com

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:23:45 +0100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>Vonage webpages let me see almost instantly who I just called. But is
>Vonage customer service allowed to look at my call records, or are
>there regulations or privacy considerations to influence that?

VoIP services are not regulated like phone companies - what is their
privacy policy?

Mark

who honestly cares. if anybody wants to know who i'm talking to, just
call me up and ask.

i just called my mom.

and seriously, if you don't want vonage support looking at your call
records, don't call them. trust me, somebody at your local POTS is
just as able to see your current records

BuddyWh

On 1 Oct 2004 21:02:29 -0700, "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>who honestly cares. if anybody wants to know who i'm talking to, just
>call me up and ask.
>
>i just called my mom.
>
>and seriously, if you don't want vonage support looking at your call
>records, don't call them. trust me, somebody at your local POTS is
>just as able to see your current records

....and listen to calls too, no doubt. Laws to the contrary
notwithstanding.

wkearney99

> who honestly cares. if anybody wants to know who i'm talking to, just
> call me up and ask.
>
> i just called my mom.

And how about if your call data was used in some manner that invaded your
privacy? Like calling you a mama's boy for all those conversations to your
mother? Or to a doctor for some condition you'd rather not have shared?
Sold to a catalog company bent on sending you junk mail for it? Seriously,
think about how 'data' such as that can be used against someone, especially
when taken out of context. Would you want your boss, on seeing your
frequent calls to your mother, to start making decisions about your work
because of it? Would you want someone looking at your mothers records and
using them to perperate some scam on her?

There's a big difference between calling someone up and asking and slicing
and dicing their call data records. You can refuse to answer when asked, as
most folks would, but how would you untangle the database-driven errors that
would crop up from your call records?

> and seriously, if you don't want vonage support looking at your call
> records, don't call them. trust me, somebody at your local POTS is
> just as able to see your current records

What actual carriers are required to do or not do is dictated by
regulations. That they CAN see the data isn't a surprise, what they're
bound by law against doing with it is another matter.

I am tottaly behind you on privacy. What if you become a suspect in
some sort of crime. and you are tottaly innocent and you calls innocent
as they may be are tooken wrong. If OJ simpson can get off and Bush can
become presedent then dam it there is something wrong.

there is no need for a operator to really have this information. they
could have limited information and still do there job fine.

You leave your doors locked or open expect to be robbed
you take any effort at all to avoid problems do it. next time you are
in radio shack refuse to give your information. they will not stop you
from buying. I do it all the time. They will use it agist you later.

you call alot out of state expect a slew of calls to sell you
longdistance. buy alot of on sale items expect calls on itesm they
want to clear out. or like I hear big walmart type big box stores are
rf tag doing. where if you just buy items on sale they will eventualy
not spend any energy on you anymore treat you diffrently. scary but
thous pants you bought at walmart are giving off a number and the saver
card in your wallet screams your identy where ever you go and there is a
rf reader.

Bye bye privacy.

Hellow controled jail police state.

where you going , why, how long, can I see your papers please.

Infowars.com
whatreallyhappened.com

evolution suffers

wkearney99 wrote:
>>who honestly cares. if anybody wants to know who i'm talking to, just
>>call me up and ask.
>>
>>i just called my mom.

> And how about if your call data was used in some manner that invaded your
> privacy? Like calling you a mama's boy for all those conversations to your
> mother? Or to a doctor for some condition you'd rather not have shared?
> Sold to a catalog company bent on sending you junk mail for it? Seriously,
> think about how 'data' such as that can be used against someone, especially
> when taken out of context. Would you want your boss, on seeing your
> frequent calls to your mother, to start making decisions about your work
> because of it? Would you want someone looking at your mothers records and
> using them to perperate some scam on her?
>
> There's a big difference between calling someone up and asking and slicing
> and dicing their call data records. You can refuse to answer when asked, as
> most folks would, but how would you untangle the database-driven errors that
> would crop up from your call records?
>

>>and seriously, if you don't want vonage support looking at your call
>>records, don't call them. trust me, somebody at your local POTS is
>>just as able to see your current records

> What actual carriers are required to do or not do is dictated by
> regulations. That they CAN see the data isn't a surprise, what they're
> bound by law against doing with it is another matter.

wkearney99

Two words "spell check"

"m" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am tottaly behind you on privacy. What if you become a suspect in
> some sort of crime. and you are tottaly innocent and you calls innocent
> as they may be are tooken wrong. If OJ simpson can get off and Bush can
> become presedent then dam it there is something wrong.
>
> there is no need for a operator to really have this information. they
> could have limited information and still do there job fine.
>
> You leave your doors locked or open expect to be robbed
> you take any effort at all to avoid problems do it. next time you are
> in radio shack refuse to give your information. they will not stop you
> from buying. I do it all the time. They will use it agist you later.
>
> you call alot out of state expect a slew of calls to sell you
> longdistance. buy alot of on sale items expect calls on itesm they
> want to clear out. or like I hear big walmart type big box stores are
> rf tag doing. where if you just buy items on sale they will eventualy
> not spend any energy on you anymore treat you diffrently. scary but
> thous pants you bought at walmart are giving off a number and the saver
> card in your wallet screams your identy where ever you go and there is a
> rf reader.

dg

> "m" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am tottaly behind you on privacy. What if you become a suspect in
>> some sort of crime. and you are tottaly innocent and you calls innocent
>> as they may be are tooken wrong. If OJ simpson can get off and Bush can
>> become presedent then dam it there is something wrong.

Along the lines of privacy...

I admit, there is something I like about conspiracy theories and such. One
idea I had was that IP phone services like Vonage could be tracking the
digitized voices and using voice recognition to pick up on keywords, then
saving that call for the feds. I also realize that our standard phone calls
(non VOIP) are probably also digitized at some point and could also be
searched for keywords, but since I started using VOIP I came up with this
idea.

I am not saying this is done, this is just an idea the occurred to me one
day.

--Dan

Rick Merrill

dg wrote:
> I admit, there is something I like about conspiracy theories and such. One
> idea I had was that IP phone services like Vonage could be tracking the
> digitized voices and using voice recognition to pick up on keywords, then
> saving that call for the feds. I also realize that our standard phone calls
> (non VOIP) are probably also digitized at some point and could also be
> searched for keywords, but since I started using VOIP I came up with this
> idea.

Do you go to the movies? The CIA does that for all international calls ...

Rusty Shackleford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> dg wrote:
> > I admit, there is something I like about conspiracy theories and such. One
> > idea I had was that IP phone services like Vonage could be tracking the
> > digitized voices and using voice recognition to pick up on keywords, then
> > saving that call for the feds. I also realize that our standard phone calls
> > (non VOIP) are probably also digitized at some point and could also be
> > searched for keywords, but since I started using VOIP I came up with this
> > idea.

> Do you go to the movies? The CIA does that for all international calls ...

There's your problem; you're getting your information from the movies.
It is the job of the NSA, not the CIA, to perform such monitoring.