Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Tools for testing & monitoring MGCP networks?

Tools for testing & monitoring MGCP networks?

Peter Valdemar Morch

Hi,

We're deploying an MGCP network, and we'd like to monitor its health,
so we can discover when its not working.

How is that done? I'm thinking that maybe it would be possible to use
an opensource MGCP tool (such as http://www.asterisk.org/ ?) to
somehow setup a dummy call and see if that goes well.

Ideally, the test will be non-intrusive - so the phone never actually
rings in the other end.

A couple of questions:

1) Is it even possible with MGCP to see if the "other end is alive" -
without the phone actually ringing in the other end, and without
getting an answer from intermediate equipment (e.g. specifying some
options that we know the other end doesn't support or something)? A
sort of "MGCP ping"? Of course I can do a standard ICMP ping, but I'd
like to see that the signalling stack is working too. As close as we
can come to actually giving the guy in the other end a real call
asking "You there?"...

2) What tools could I use? Has this been done before? Both free and
commercial tools are interesting in this context.

3) Basic connectivity is our focus initially, but what other tests are
useful? QoS (latency, jitter, loss)? What else? Tool support?

Both tools that will establish a call with and without "the phone
actually ringing" are of interest, but in dreamland I'd prefer an open
source *NIX command line utility that tests to see if the other end is
up without the phone actually ringing....

There was a "Monitoring VOIP" thread about this from 2002,
http://tinyurl.com/3pqgz, but it didn't have any answers, so I was
hoping maybe something has happened in the meantime...

Sincerely,

Peter

Alan Clark

Peter

You could take a look at Telchemy's web site (www.telchemy.com), and
at the VoIP Troubleshooter site (www.voiptroubleshooter.com), both of
which can provide useful information and links on monitoring VoIP
services

Regards

Alan

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Peter Valdemar Morch) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi,
>
> We're deploying an MGCP network, and we'd like to monitor its health,
> so we can discover when its not working.
>
> How is that done? I'm thinking that maybe it would be possible to use
> an opensource MGCP tool (such as http://www.asterisk.org/ ?) to
> somehow setup a dummy call and see if that goes well.
>
> Ideally, the test will be non-intrusive - so the phone never actually
> rings in the other end.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is it even possible with MGCP to see if the "other end is alive" -
> without the phone actually ringing in the other end, and without
> getting an answer from intermediate equipment (e.g. specifying some
> options that we know the other end doesn't support or something)? A
> sort of "MGCP ping"? Of course I can do a standard ICMP ping, but I'd
> like to see that the signalling stack is working too. As close as we
> can come to actually giving the guy in the other end a real call
> asking "You there?"...
>
> 2) What tools could I use? Has this been done before? Both free and
> commercial tools are interesting in this context.
>
> 3) Basic connectivity is our focus initially, but what other tests are
> useful? QoS (latency, jitter, loss)? What else? Tool support?
>
> Both tools that will establish a call with and without "the phone
> actually ringing" are of interest, but in dreamland I'd prefer an open
> source *NIX command line utility that tests to see if the other end is
> up without the phone actually ringing....
>
> There was a "Monitoring VOIP" thread about this from 2002,
> http://tinyurl.com/3pqgz, but it didn't have any answers, so I was
> hoping maybe something has happened in the meantime...
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Peter

Manual/QTP/Software Testing/Testing tools Project training for Rs.1000 by Real Timer priyanka.madhu97 Software 0 12-30-2008 01:47 AM
Manual & QTP Project Training/Testing Tools/Software testing for Rs.1000 tttrainer Software 0 11-03-2008 05:18 PM
[ANN] Web testing tools selection in Methods & Tools Summer 2007 issue martinig Javascript 0 07-02-2007 08:35 AM
PIX and MGCP JB Cisco 0 03-03-2004 04:12 PM
mgcp and ccm Pavel Zheltouhov Cisco 1 12-29-2003 05:30 AM

Advertisments