Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > No Collect Calls with TW Digital Phones

No Collect Calls with TW Digital Phones

Nehmo Sergheyev

I'm in Kansas City, Kansas.

I just did two and a quarter days in jail. I bonded out, but I probably
could have gotten things going faster if my home phone could have
accepted collect calls. I then could have communicated with my wife more
easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is only
allowed to make collect calls.

I had changed my home phone service from SBC (formally Southwestern
Bell) to a so-called "digital phone" from Time Warner. (My ISP is
Roadrunner through TW.) When I ordered the service, it never occurred to
me that being able to accept collect calls is an important feature. I
never asked if the feature were available, and I didn't know it wasn't
working until I needed to make a collect call to home.

The inability to accept collect calls isn't mentioned on
http://www.twcdigitalphone.com/kansascity/faq.htm

This missing feature is something to consider for those of you
contemplating getting a TW phone.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Collect calls should be allowed. From the FAQ you sent. If you are still
having problems with this contact your support number and make them find out
why.

Q: Can I receive collect calls?

A: Yes. Your total collect call charges are listed together as
Directory Assistance and Operator Services on your monthly bill. For
call-by-call details, check your account at www.twcdigitalphone.com.

"Nehmo Sergheyev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gHWSc.92404$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> I'm in Kansas City, Kansas.
>
> I just did two and a quarter days in jail. I bonded out, but I probably
> could have gotten things going faster if my home phone could have
> accepted collect calls. I then could have communicated with my wife more
> easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is only
> allowed to make collect calls.
>
> I had changed my home phone service from SBC (formally Southwestern
> Bell) to a so-called "digital phone" from Time Warner. (My ISP is
> Roadrunner through TW.) When I ordered the service, it never occurred to
> me that being able to accept collect calls is an important feature. I
> never asked if the feature were available, and I didn't know it wasn't
> working until I needed to make a collect call to home.
>
> The inability to accept collect calls isn't mentioned on
> http://www.twcdigitalphone.com/kansascity/faq.htm
>
> This missing feature is something to consider for those of you
> contemplating getting a TW phone.
>
> --
> *********************
> * Nehmo Sergheyev *
> *********************

Nehmo Sergheyev

- spamtrap -
> Collect calls should be allowed. From the FAQ you sent. If you are

still
> having problems with this contact your support number and make them

find out
> why.
>
> Q: Can I receive collect calls?
>
> A: Yes. Your total collect call charges are listed together as
> Directory Assistance and Operator Services on your monthly bill. For
> call-by-call details, check your account at www.twcdigitalphone.com.

- Nehmo -
I missed that. I just called TW customer service. Apparently
collect-call acceptance was blocked on my line. I had got the phone in
its beta days and TW didn't have it's questionare established then. Now
they ask new customers if they want collect calls blocked or not.

Now I have collect calls unblocked.

I asked what the cost was: Collect calls to TW phones default to Sprint.
The charge before tax is $3.95 to accept a collect call and +
$.49/minute after.

I'm not sure how making a collect call through another company would
work. I would think it would be their rates. The jail I was in used
Evercom.

- Nehmo (original post) -
> > I just did two and a quarter days in jail. I bonded out, but I

probably
> > could have gotten things going faster if my home phone could have
> > accepted collect calls. I then could have communicated with my wife

more
> > easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is

only
> > allowed to make collect calls.
> >
> > I had changed my home phone service from SBC (formally Southwestern
> > Bell) to a so-called "digital phone" from Time Warner. (My ISP is
> > Roadrunner through TW.) When I ordered the service, it never

occurred to
> > me that being able to accept collect calls is an important feature.

> > never asked if the feature were available, and I didn't know it

wasn't
> > working until I needed to make a collect call to home.
> >
> > The inability to accept collect calls isn't mentioned on
> > http://www.twcdigitalphone.com/kansascity/faq.htm
> >
> > This missing feature is something to consider for those of you
> > contemplating getting a TW phone.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
*********************

DevilsPGD

In message <gHWSc.92404$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com> "Nehmo
Sergheyev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just did two and a quarter days in jail. I bonded out, but I probably
>could have gotten things going faster if my home phone could have
>accepted collect calls. I then could have communicated with my wife more
>easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is only
>allowed to make collect calls.

I might be wrong but I think you can dial calling card calls too, no?

--
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig

John R. Levine

>>easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is only
>>allowed to make collect calls.

>I might be wrong but I think you can dial calling card calls too, no?

Nope. Jail phones have their own peculiar class of service that
permits only collect calls, not even calls to 800 numbers. Calls are
randomly monitored to discourage inmates from planning new crimes with
their friends on the outside.

The collect service you get billed by is whichever one the jail uses.
You have no choice. It's a famous ripoff scheme, the jail gets a
commission on each call.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
> >I just did two and a quarter days in jail. I bonded out, but I probably
> >could have gotten things going faster if my home phone could have
> >accepted collect calls. I then could have communicated with my wife more
> >easily. In most jails nowadays, after an initial call, an inmate is only
> >allowed to make collect calls.

- DevilsPGD -
> I might be wrong but I think you can dial calling card calls too, no?

- Nehmo
Every institution has its own policy. In this particular place, the
Johnson County Gardner Detention Center, an inmate, upon booking, gets
a free card using Evercom
http://www.evercom.net/EvercomCover/default.htm
that has ten minutes on it. After an inmate gets moved into the
general population, which comes after about five days, the inmate can
then buy additional cards. I wasn't there that long, and I don't know
how much the cards sell for per minute.

An inmate can't use calling cards from a different company.

I just noticed you can see, at least right now, my booking report at
http://www.jocosheriff.org/Default.asp?incl=br
Search for my unique first name, Nehmo. The data is somewhat
incorrect. I was actually arrested several hours earlier. That time is
when I arrived at that particular jail. And I also had to post bond on
all the tickets - not just two.

* Nehmo Sergheyev *