Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Peer-to-Peer VOIP

Peer-to-Peer VOIP

GiJO

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit new to VoIP and would like to setup a peer-to-peer system. I've
got a couple of mates around the world (and two here in Australia) and would
like to setup the PC to be able to receive and make calls to a VoIP phone
via broadband. We all have cable/adsl which is always on through the use of
a netgear router. Ideally i'd like to be able to plug my ip phone into my
router and then my PC into the phone, so when someone calls me some software
on my PC picks that up and forwards it to the phone. Maybe use something
like email addresses or internet IP Addresses or even a domain name as the
"phone number". I'd prefer not to have to setup a gateway server and have my
friends call through that as i don't want to have to pay for bandwidth they
use when they call and talk to each other!!!

It's basically just the next level up from using Netmeeting. I'd like the
phone to ring and to use it like a normal phone. It doesn't need a
connection to the PSTN network, as i only want it to be used for calling
other friends with an IP Phone, eventually getting them all up and running!

Any suggestions or places to start looking?

--
Thanks
Andrew

Georg Schwarz

GiJO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any suggestions or places to start looking?

what you are looking for is SIP. Get a SIP client each; register with a
SIP procy such as for example, Free World Dialup or iptel.org (or use
your own SIP addresses, maybe in conjunction with some dyn dns serice)
and make sure you do not have problems with a NAT device or firewall at
either end, and you should be set.

There are also proprietary protocols like the one used by Skype.

--
Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) +49 177 8811442

GiJO

yeah i saw Skype and they have phones you can plug in via USB, there is a
mobile phone sized one which would be handy, means you can just plug it in
anywhere and away you go. I'll look into SIP, don't know anything about it
or what the three letters even mean! Thanks for the tips

--
Thanks
Andrew

Georg Schwarz wrote:
> GiJO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions or places to start looking?

> what you are looking for is SIP. Get a SIP client each; register with
> a SIP procy such as for example, Free World Dialup or iptel.org (or
> use your own SIP addresses, maybe in conjunction with some dyn dns
> serice) and make sure you do not have problems with a NAT device or
> firewall at either end, and you should be set.
>
> There are also proprietary protocols like the one used by Skype.

GiJO

just another thing, so if i got two IP phones, a SIP client (any
recommendations?) and broadband at each end, then i can dial each phone
based on IP address? or does it have to be a domain name? What do you mean
by "own SIP address", what does that refer to? Both ends will probably have
a firewall and NAT, so what ports would i need to open and forward (do i
forward to the PC the SIP Client is running on or directly to the IP Phone?)

--
Thanks
Andrew

GiJO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> just another thing, so if i got two IP phones, a SIP client (any
> recommendations?) and broadband at each end, then i can dial each phone
> based on IP address? or does it have to be a domain name? What do you mean

SIP supports both, with a DNS-based address being more flexible of
course

> by "own SIP address", what does that refer to? Both ends will probably have

it refers to the addressing scheme used by SIP (aka Session Initiation
Protocol; an Internet standard); think of it like an "email address" for
real-time communications.

> a firewall and NAT, so what ports would i need to open and forward (do i
> forward to the PC the SIP Client is running on or directly to the IP Phone?)

SIP uses dynamic port allocation, so your NAT device and firewall must
most likely explicitely support SIP (or you have to fiddle with some
port ranges, which depend on your particular SIP client).
If you are using a SIP phone, then that phone *is* the SIP client (just
as a PC with an appropriate software for example).
--
Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
(E-Mail Removed) +49 177 8811442

GiJO

awesome... thanks for the heads-up it makes more sense. So effectively a SIP
phone is like a mini PC in itself, you can configure the internet gateway
(router), and then enter in the ip address to call and you're talking over
the net! I think there is a package for linux which can handle SIP, so i
could install that and it would sort out all the port forwarding etc. I'm
tipping SIP phones aren't cheap though.

--
Thanks
Andrew

Georg Schwarz wrote:
> GiJO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> just another thing, so if i got two IP phones, a SIP client (any
>> recommendations?) and broadband at each end, then i can dial each
>> phone based on IP address? or does it have to be a domain name? What
>> do you mean

> SIP supports both, with a DNS-based address being more flexible of
> course
>
>> by "own SIP address", what does that refer to? Both ends will
>> probably have

> it refers to the addressing scheme used by SIP (aka Session Initiation
> Protocol; an Internet standard); think of it like an "email address"
> for real-time communications.
>
>> a firewall and NAT, so what ports would i need to open and forward
>> (do i forward to the PC the SIP Client is running on or directly to
>> the IP Phone?)

> SIP uses dynamic port allocation, so your NAT device and firewall must
> most likely explicitely support SIP (or you have to fiddle with some
> port ranges, which depend on your particular SIP client).
> If you are using a SIP phone, then that phone *is* the SIP client
> (just as a PC with an appropriate software for example).

Carlos

Try www.nikotel.com thats what I have you can call each other with a number you
choose to call another Nikotel.