Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > How does vonage work?

How does vonage work?

R Siffredi

Couple of questions on how vonage works?
1. Does it use SIP.
2. How and where does it interface to the existing PSTN
3. Will any IP Phone work as long as I have an account?
4. Is there something in the adapter that identifies it to me, so I
could take it anywhere, even another area code.

Thanks

ibeplato

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
R Siffredi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Couple of questions on how vonage works?
> 1. Does it use SIP.
> 2. How and where does it interface to the existing PSTN
> 3. Will any IP Phone work as long as I have an account?
> 4. Is there something in the adapter that identifies it to me, so I
> could take it anywhere, even another area code.
>
> Thanks

1. Yes, it uses SIP. You are provided with an ATA device that acts as a
SIP proxy. Calls are routed to their servers.
2. Vonage has media gateways to the PSTN in several areas.
3. No, Vonage only supports analog phones and soft phone clients. Soft
phones are only supported if you have an existing account
4. You can plug your ATA device in anywhere there is an Internet
connection and your phone will work.

Roland Krikava

"R Siffredi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Couple of questions on how vonage works?
> 1. Does it use SIP.
> 2. How and where does it interface to the existing PSTN
> 3. Will any IP Phone work as long as I have an account?

Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.

As the previous poster said, however, you will need to have a main
account set up (making use of Vonage configured hardware), in order to get
a softphone account.

> 4. Is there something in the adapter that identifies it to me, so I
> could take it anywhere, even another area code.
>
> Thanks

R Siffredi

So I could use a cisco 7900 model as well?
What settings would I have to adjust in it when I get the softphone
account?
Also, what packets should I see on the analyzer for my ATA device?
RTP packets to the Vonage SIP server?
Call setup?
Is there keepalvie packets or anything to the ATA device from vonage?

Thanks again!

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:24:31 GMT, "Roland Krikava" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"R Siffredi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Couple of questions on how vonage works?
>> 1. Does it use SIP.
>> 2. How and where does it interface to the existing PSTN
>> 3. Will any IP Phone work as long as I have an account?

>Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
>use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.
>
>As the previous poster said, however, you will need to have a main
>account set up (making use of Vonage configured hardware), in order to get
>a softphone account.
>
>> 4. Is there something in the adapter that identifies it to me, so I
>> could take it anywhere, even another area code.
>>
>> Thanks

John R. Levine

>Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
>use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.

Really? How did you set it up? I thought that the Vonage softphone
needed their client, so you could only use a USB phone.

Roland Krikava

"John R. Levine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cf4m2u$i7c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
> >use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.

> Really? How did you set it up? I thought that the Vonage softphone
> needed their client, so you could only use a USB phone.

This is how my Grandstream phone is configured:

IP Phone ConfigurationGrandstream IP Phone Configuration

MAC Address:
Product Model: BT100
Software Version: Program--1.0.5.3
Bootloader--1.0.0.18
HTML--1.0.0.36 VOC--1.0.0.6
Custom Ring Tone: ring1--1.0.0.0 ring2--1.0.0.0
ring3--0.0.0.0

Admin Password:
IP Address: dynamically assigned via DHCP

SIP Server: sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5060
Outbound Proxy: sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5061
SIP User ID: vonage number
Authenticate User ID: vonage number
Authenticate Password: *****
Name: (optional, e.g., John Doe)

Advanced Options:
Preferred Vocoder:
(in listed order)
choice 1: current setting is "G722"
choice 2: current setting is "PCMU"
choice 3: current setting is "PCMA"
choice 4: current setting is "G723"
choice 5: current setting is "G729"
choice 6: current setting is "G726-32"
choice 7: current setting is "G728"
choice 8: current setting is "PCMU"

G723 rate: 6.3kbps encoding rate

iLBC frame size: 20ms
iLBC payload type: 98
Silence Suppression: No
Voice Frames per TX: 2
Layer 3 QoS: 48
Layer 2 QoS: 802.1Q/VLAN Tag: 0 802.1p priority
value: 0

Use DNS SRV: No
User ID is phone number: Yes
SIP Registration: Yes
Unregister On Reboot: No
Register Expiration: 60
Early Dial: No
Dial Plan Prefix:
No Key Entry Timeout: 4
Use # as Dial Key: Yes (if set to Yes, "#" will function
as the "(Re-)Dial" key)
local SIP port: 5060
local RTP port: 5004
Use random port: Yes
NAT Traversal: Yes STUN server is:
keep-alive interval: 20 seconds
Use NAT IP:
TFTP Server: (for remote software upgrade and
configuration)
Voice Mail UserID:
SUBSCRIBE for MWI: No, do not send SUBSCRIBE for Message
Waiting Indication
Auto Answer: No
Offhook Auto-Dial:
Enable Call Features: No
Disable Call-Waiting: No
Send DTMF: in-audio
DTMF Payload Type: 101
Send Flash Event: No
NTP Server: time.nist.gov
Time Zone:
Date Display Format: Year-Month-Day
Daylight Savings Time: Yes
Default Ring Tone: system ring tone
Send Anonymous: No

DevilsPGD

In message <cf4m2u$i7c$(E-Mail Removed)> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John R. Levine)
wrote:

>>Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
>>use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.

>Really? How did you set it up? I thought that the Vonage softphone
>needed their client, so you could only use a USB phone.

In theory. In practice, you can pull the information you need out of
the softphone's software.

--
I've given up on sigs. I just couldn't think of anything clever to say.

sidhu sidhu is offline
Junior Member

Do any one knows which softswitch does VONAGE uses? is it a own development or a comercial make?

hillieren hillieren is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu
Do any one knows which softswitch does VONAGE uses? is it a own development or a comercial make?
Any difference? Just a SIP compatible switch.