Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Is Nufone going out of business???

Is Nufone going out of business???

Angry Customer

I ordered service over a month ago and have not gotten any info from them.
They don't reply to my voice messages for several days (they don't answer
their phones!) and reply to my email messages a week or so after I've sent
them, if I'm lucky enough to get a reply at all. I tried reporting them to
the Better Business Bureau but apparently they are not listed (for good
reason).

Does anyone know anything about their status?

So far my Nufone experience has been a total nightmare and I can't wait to
hand my business over to a reputable/upstanding business.

DevilsPGD

In message <90327$41131178$4286439a$(E-Mail Removed) rs.com>
"Angry Customer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So far my Nufone experience has been a total nightmare and I can't wait to
>hand my business over to a reputable/upstanding business.

So do it... Why wait for Nufone to go under?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Angry Customer

"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4113382f$0$18469$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...
> In message <90327$41131178$4286439a$(E-Mail Removed) rs.com>
> "Angry Customer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >So far my Nufone experience has been a total nightmare and I can't wait

> >hand my business over to a reputable/upstanding business.

> So do it... Why wait for Nufone to go under?
>

> --
> A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
> Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

I thought Nufone was the only game in town for Asterisk specific VOIP.

Can you offer a recommendation?

Thanks

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

"Angry Customer" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I thought Nufone was the only game in town for Asterisk specific VOIP.
>
> Can you offer a recommendation?

There are more SIP VOIP providers than you can shake a stick at. Too
bad it is so time consuming to piece together the information from the
vendor's web pages. I see 111 potential candidates listed on this
following page.

(Scroll down to "VOIP to/from PSTN services")

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VoIP+Service+Providers

Here are the ones that I tripped across in my random walk. I was only
considering places that had <$10 monthlies and allowed you to make SIP
connections to/from your own equipment.

http://www.gafachi.com/ (NYC, NY -- 89ms) ($0/mo, 2cents/min)
http://www.nufone.net/ (XXX, MI -- 72ms) ($0/mo, 2cents/min)
http://www.broadvoice.com/ (LA, CA -- 50ms to 200ms SIP)
(Wash DC -- unreachable SIP)

Notes:

* broadvoice filters all icmp's. (If I had a penny for every
confused admin that says "We filter ICMPs for security
reasons", I'd be a rich man.) That ICMP filtering coupled
with the fact that asterisk often can't connect to
broadvoice's sip server makes me wonder what is going on
there.

* Both broadvoice and nufone have a sloppy DNS configuration
where many of their customer-facing machines are unknown to
DNS. All mail coming from both sites comes from some
anonymous machine that DNS has never heard of. Similarly,
connections from both of their SIP servers come from some
anonymous unnamed machine. This isn't a good sign as far as
far as attention to detail goes.

* For SIP / VOIP companies, shockingly few of them even bother
to put _sip._udp.COMPANY.com SRV entries into their DNS.
(Motto: "We only sell the stuff, we don't want you to
actually call us using it!")

-wolfgang
New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html

James H. Thompson

Angry Customer wrote:

> I thought Nufone was the only game in town for Asterisk specific VOIP.
>
> Can you offer a recommendation?

This page lists Asterisk configurations for various VOIP providers:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asteri...VOIP+providers

There are more that Asterisk can use, but these are the ones users have
documented so far.

--
Jim

James H. Thompson

Isaiah Beard

DevilsPGD wrote:

>>So far my Nufone experience has been a total nightmare and I can't wait to
>>hand my business over to a reputable/upstanding business.

> So do it... Why wait for Nufone to go under?

Is this their website?

http://www.nufone.net

If so, I hate to say it, but they need a better site design and a better
way to accept payments. With something like *that* up, and with
verbiage like:

"Until we can launch our automated signup system, you can paypal sales @
nufone.net a username and secret you wish to use or call xxx-xxx-xxxx or
xxx-xxx-xxxx to manually debit your credit card."

The thing just REEKS of shoddy, fly-by-night operation. Money up-front,
and via PAYPAL? Jeez!

Joel Gathercole

Angry Customer wrote:

> "DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4113382f$0$18469$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...
>
>>In message <90327$41131178$4286439a$(E-Mail Removed) rs.com>
>>"Angry Customer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>So far my Nufone experience has been a total nightmare and I can't wait

>>>hand my business over to a reputable/upstanding business.

>>So do it... Why wait for Nufone to go under?
>>

>>--
>>A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
>>Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
>>A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>>Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

> I thought Nufone was the only game in town for Asterisk specific VOIP.
>
> Can you offer a recommendation?
>
> Thanks

Yes, we offer IAX and SIP as well. We use ASTERISK on all our VoIP
servers. If you are interested email me back.

Joel Gathercole