Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > IP to PSTN

IP to PSTN

Jazz

hello
Can some one let me know how can i call from my PC which is using
Lease line (or ADSL) to PSTN line... do i need any hardware installed
on my PC ..

Thanks
Jazz

Dave Stephen

"Jazz" wrote in message
> hello
> Can some one let me know how can i call from my PC which is using
> Lease line (or ADSL) to PSTN line... do i need any hardware installed
> on my PC ..

Have a look at http://www.skype.com/ which will provide you with a
soft-phone which does PC-PC calls and if you buy credits with Skypeout you
can call PSTN phones in any country. The rates are published for each
country you are calling - it doesn't matter where you are calling from and
most countries are 1.2EuroCents per minute.

You would be better with hardware - preferably a USB phone - but to evaluate
the package Skype use a headset with boom mike. Remember to disconnet the
earphone plug when you are not using it so that you may hear incoming rings
on the PC Speakers.

Have fun

hercules

First your internet provider must have the ablity about voip .
Then you must install a call software in your computer, such as sip-phone
or MGCP- phone.

"Jazz" <(E-Mail Removed)> ????
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> hello
> Can some one let me know how can i call from my PC which is using
> Lease line (or ADSL) to PSTN line... do i need any hardware installed
> on my PC ..
>
> Thanks
> Jazz

KC Mao

"Dave Stephen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<ce2gge$qhh$1$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Jazz" wrote in message
> > hello
> > Can some one let me know how can i call from my PC which is using
> > Lease line (or ADSL) to PSTN line... do i need any hardware installed
> > on my PC ..

> Have a look at http://www.skype.com/ which will provide you with a
> soft-phone which does PC-PC calls and if you buy credits with Skypeout you
> can call PSTN phones in any country. The rates are published for each
> country you are calling - it doesn't matter where you are calling from and
> most countries are 1.2EuroCents per minute.
>
> You would be better with hardware - preferably a USB phone - but to evaluate
> the package Skype use a headset with boom mike. Remember to disconnet the
> earphone plug when you are not using it so that you may hear incoming rings
> on the PC Speakers.
>
> Have fun

Dave,

I have been using Skypeout for 3 days. It seems to me that you can
only use Skypeout to reach a PSTN phone. not its extension number. My
experience is that after a PSTN phone number is connected, you are no
longer able to key in its extension number. Am I right?

KC

Dave Stephen

"KC Mao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have been using Skypeout for 3 days. It seems to me that you can
> only use Skypeout to reach a PSTN phone. not its extension number. My
> experience is that after a PSTN phone number is connected, you are no
> longer able to key in its extension number. Am I right?
>
> KC

I am not an authority on Skype, KC but there is a Skype Forum which may help
you further.
No doubt you know of it but it is :-
http://forum.skype.com/bb/

Personally I have used this feature to UK numbers OK where the PBX answers
the number and invites the input of the extension e.g.

0044 1955 XXXXXX
Wait for reply
229

I use a USB Phone and can either enter the numberts on the USB Phone or on
Skype Dialler.
One last suyggestion - have you downloaded the latest version of Skype
0.98.0.68?

Sorry that's all I can suggest - good luck!

root/administrator

KC Mao wrote:

> "Dave Stephen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<ce2gge$qhh$1$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> "Jazz" wrote in message
>> > hello
>> > Can some one let me know how can i call from my PC which is using
>> > Lease line (or ADSL) to PSTN line... do i need any hardware installed
>> > on my PC ..

>> Have a look at http://www.skype.com/ which will provide you with a
>> soft-phone which does PC-PC calls and if you buy credits with Skypeout
>> you
>> can call PSTN phones in any country. The rates are published for each
>> country you are calling - it doesn't matter where you are calling from
>> and most countries are 1.2EuroCents per minute.
>>
>> You would be better with hardware - preferably a USB phone - but to
>> evaluate
>> the package Skype use a headset with boom mike. Remember to disconnet
>> the earphone plug when you are not using it so that you may hear incoming
>> rings on the PC Speakers.
>>
>> Have fun

> Dave,
>
> I have been using Skypeout for 3 days. It seems to me that you can
> only use Skypeout to reach a PSTN phone. not its extension number. My
> experience is that after a PSTN phone number is connected, you are no
> longer able to key in its extension number. Am I right?
>
> KC

If U have a pocket tone dialer, you can try to generate the tone near the
MIC of the headset to see if skype will propagate the tones for the other
end device to recognize.

--
root/administrator

7507/PSTN Christian Lox Cisco 3 02-11-2006 04:09 PM
SIP at access to PSTN Will Plaice Cisco 0 06-19-2005 04:44 PM
pstn to sip number mapping Jan Cisco 0 11-05-2004 01:45 PM
ISDN dialout to PSTN VIC2-2BRI Jan Cisco 7 10-07-2004 01:01 PM
same router to terminate data wan and pstn link? Bill F Cisco 3 08-11-2004 03:39 AM

Advertisments