Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > IP/PSTN interoperabilty

IP/PSTN interoperabilty

Pete Calvert

Hi,

I am looking for information on what are the different options available
to create voice calls between PSTN phones and IP phones.

I'm looking for information on different protocols and standards. I know
the main VoIP protocols available are H.323 and SIP, but I'd like to know
how these interoperate with each other and also with PSTN. Also what
implementations are available and how complete are they. I'd prefer open
source if possible.

Other areas I'm interested in are:
interoperability between PSTN and GPRS, in particular NAT as I understand
that is a problem
MoIP - I know there is V.150.1 but I can't find much information about
it, has anyone implemented it? Are there any other standards to do this?

I'm really looking for good sources of information to get started.

Thanks for any help

Pete

Hank Karl

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:01:15 +0100, "Pete Calvert"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for information on what are the different options available
>to create voice calls between PSTN phones and IP phones.
>
>I'm looking for information on different protocols and standards. I know
>the main VoIP protocols available are H.323 and SIP, but I'd like to know
>how these interoperate with each other and also with PSTN. Also what
>implementations are available and how complete are they. I'd prefer open
>source if possible.

Another spec to read is G.799.1 "Functionality and Interface
Specifications for GSTN Transport Network Equipment for
Interconnecting GSTN and IP Networks" (GSTN is General Switched
Telephone Networks, and includes PSTN)

Hank Karl Eastern Regional Manager
+1 (203)207-0047 www.nine-9s.com

Representing: