Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VoIP IP Calling

VoIP IP Calling

Marty Fae Fife

Hi all,

I have been using VoIP for a number of months and I'm very happy with it. I
have heard that you can also use your VoIP to dial other VoIP users using
the IP address, is this true ?

Reasion I'm asking is, if it is true and my mate on the other side of the
world also had VoIP would I be able to call him free since I would not be
using PSTN?

Christen Fihl

Yes

Some hardware can do this, like Grandstream BudgeTone. Others might not
have a way of entering IP addresses.
The free X-Lite software phone from www.xten.com can also do direct IP.

--
Christen Fihl
http://HSPascal.Fihl.net/

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

"Marty Fae Fife" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I have been using VoIP for a number of months and I'm very happy with it. I
> have heard that you can also use your VoIP to dial other VoIP users using
> the IP address, is this true ?

On some phones like the Grandstream Budgetone you can pick up the
phone, hit "menu", and dial the 0-padded 12-digit IP address of the
other phone followed by "send" and the other phone will ring. Both
phones will obviously need to have real IP addresses.

If the phones are behind NAT boxes, you can still make free, direct
calls. You just need to use a sip server someplace to help you make
the initial contact. Something like Free World Dial
http://www.freeworlddialup.com/ will do.

What I find interesting is that some large companies and organizations
are starting to publish their SIP contact details in dns. To dial an
extension at MIT I could go directly across the net without using any
middleman.

$ dig +noall +answer _sip._udp.mit.edu SRV
_sip._udp.mit.edu. 21600 IN SRV 0 1 5060 SIPXCHANGE.MIT.EDU.

-wolfgang
New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html

Marty Fae Fife

hmm, I must admit this is a bit over my head, I'm using a FDX-840 and a
normal hand set analogue phone connected to his, I thought or was thinking
maybe picking up the handset and punching in a IP rather than a phone
number...

"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<(E-Mail Removed) .wsrcc.com> wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Marty Fae Fife" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > I have been using VoIP for a number of months and I'm very happy with

it. I
> > have heard that you can also use your VoIP to dial other VoIP users

using
> > the IP address, is this true ?

> On some phones like the Grandstream Budgetone you can pick up the
> phone, hit "menu", and dial the 0-padded 12-digit IP address of the
> other phone followed by "send" and the other phone will ring. Both
> phones will obviously need to have real IP addresses.
>
> If the phones are behind NAT boxes, you can still make free, direct
> calls. You just need to use a sip server someplace to help you make
> the initial contact. Something like Free World Dial
> http://www.freeworlddialup.com/ will do.
>
> What I find interesting is that some large companies and organizations
> are starting to publish their SIP contact details in dns. To dial an
> extension at MIT I could go directly across the net without using any
> middleman.
>
> $ dig +noall +answer _sip._udp.mit.edu SRV
> _sip._udp.mit.edu. 21600 IN SRV 0 1 5060

SIPXCHANGE.MIT.EDU.

> -wolfgang
> --
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
> New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
> http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html

Ruth

"Marty Fae Fife" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7fsIc.1343$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using VoIP for a number of months and I'm very happy with it.

> have heard that you can also use your VoIP to dial other VoIP users using
> the IP address, is this true ?
>
> Reasion I'm asking is, if it is true and my mate on the other side of the
> world also had VoIP would I be able to call him free since I would not be
> using PSTN?

It is the biggest reason for using it isn't it?
RuthWest