Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > FWD v Skype

Reply
Thread Tools

FWD v Skype

 
 
G Amer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
I am trying to decide which service to use VOIP. I am in the UK but would
like the service to call/receive calls from Africa/Asia and standard
landlines.

What are the pros and cons of Skype/FWD. I would like a technology whereby
I can travel worldwide. I also need to look at costs v quality.

Amer


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Juan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-02-2004
> What are the pros and cons of Skype/FWD. I would like a technology
whereby
> I can travel worldwide. I also need to look at costs v quality.


I have tried both, FWD is SIP based (standard) and Skype have propietary
protocol.

I have both installed in my laptop, with WIFI internet access, without any
problem.

If you travel with laptop or PDA, you can try and decide.

For FWD I recommend you a softphone like i.e: Sjphone from www.sjlabs.com ,
there is a special version for FWD.

Both systems work fine behind NAT, but Skype is very easy to install, you
call free PC-PC, and to standard phones (pay), the sound quality is very
good, and the comunications are encrypted.

Juan



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2004

"Juan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote> For FWD I recommend you a softphone like
i.e: Sjphone from www.sjlabs.com ,
> there is a special version for FWD.
>

Can you use FWD with dial up internet???

Steve


 
Reply With Quote
 
root/administrator
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2004
Steve wrote:

>
> "Juan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote> For FWD I recommend you a softphone like
> i.e: Sjphone from www.sjlabs.com ,
>> there is a special version for FWD.
>>

> Can you use FWD with dial up internet???
>
> Steve


I have occasionally skyped with a dial-up user. The only problem I noticed
is the choppiness in incoming audio from the dial-up user even though s/he
can hear me clear. I suspect the default Skype CoDec that provides good
audio systems is not meant for a dial-up usage. YMMV.

--
root/administrator
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2004

"root/administrator" < wrote The only problem I noticed
> is the choppiness in incoming audio from the dial-up user even though s/he
> can hear me clear. I suspect the default Skype CoDec that provides good
> audio systems is not meant for a dial-up usage. YMMV.
>

My questin was whether it is possible to use FWD over dial-up?

Steve


 
Reply With Quote
 
root/administrator
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2004
Steve wrote:

>
> "root/administrator" < wrote The only problem I noticed
>> is the choppiness in incoming audio from the dial-up user even though
>> s/he can hear me clear. I suspect the default Skype CoDec that provides
>> good audio systems is not meant for a dial-up usage. YMMV.
>>

> My questin was whether it is possible to use FWD over dial-up?
>
> Steve


Oh, you want a shorter answer and it is possible.

--
root/administrator
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2004

"root/administrator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote >
> Oh, you want a shorter answer and it is possible.


Sorry, Hope not to be rude... But I am intending to use FWD but would like
to know if and how can It be used under dial-up internet access. I have a
friend in a country where there is NO broadban and only dial-up. They hope
to have broadband in 12 months time though and therfore we felt that FWD
would be fine if it cud be used. Do you know ho wthis could be achieved.


Steve


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2004

"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MegHc.594$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "root/administrator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote >
> > Oh, you want a shorter answer and it is possible.

>
> Sorry, Hope not to be rude... But I am intending to use FWD but would like
> to know if and how can It be used under dial-up internet access. I have a
> friend in a country where there is NO broadban and only dial-up. They

hope
> to have broadband in 12 months time though and therfore we felt that FWD
> would be fine if it cud be used. Do you know ho wthis could be achieved.
>
>
> Steve
>

IF you are happy with VVVV poor speech even on the GSM codec.
It seems to need at least 64K, I tried lsat week with a freind on dial up to
my * box and it was V choppy

Ian

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: FWD account login "My FWD", gone completely now? Graham. UK VOIP 10 04-12-2009 10:20 AM
FWD/Pulver vis Skype SidKnee VOIP 3 03-12-2005 07:47 AM
FWD or Skype SidKnee VOIP 5 02-18-2005 05:55 PM
[Fwd: [Fwd: Online survey on agile practices adoption in softwareindustry]] Davide Carboni C Programming 0 12-18-2003 03:09 PM
Fwd Fwd Fwd Lonnie Reynolds Computer Support 3 11-17-2003 05:42 AM



Advertisments