Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > SPAN traffic loss

SPAN traffic loss

ramialhasan

I am monitoring traffic of a voice VLAN of the Cisco IPCC, thru a
SPANning VLAN traffic to my server's network port.

After dumping IP calls voice traffic into files, most of the calls are
ok, but say 10% of calls has about one minute of lost voice packets.
from the middle of the call.

The API I am using to sniff the traffic has no packet loss on its
buffer, so I doubt that something is lost from the switch side.

The switch has more than 80 IP phones connected to it. The voice
traffic is huge. So what is the possiblity of having the loss from SPAN
side, I mean that the switch is not catching up with the traffic so it
does not pass all packets.

If this is possible ? How can I measure it? or how can I know that it
is hapenning? and Is there a solution.

Regards,
Rami

Andreas Sikkema

"ramialhasan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cbrl4t
$(E-Mail Removed):

> If this is possible ? How can I measure it? or how can I know that it
> is hapenning? and Is there a solution.

If you get the raw RTP messages, you might be able to see some evidence of
this in missing sequence numbers. RTP messages are numbered sequentially in
a call, so if there's a huge gap between some numbers, they must be lost.

--
Andreas

Can span include span? Fulio Open HTML 5 06-26-2009 10:24 PM
SPAN traffic loss ramialhasan Cisco 1 06-29-2004 07:02 PM
Re: SPAN traffic loss ramialhasan VOIP 0 06-29-2004 12:10 PM

Advertisments