Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > FWD

G Amer

I would like to get onto FWD what is the best way to start on FWD ..
equipment wise?

I was thinking of buying either the Budgetone 101 or the Handytone 486 but
cannot dcide and require guidance on pros/cons?

Amer

Psychomation

Stumbling out on on Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:42:49 +0100, G Amer blithered:

> I would like to get onto FWD what is the best way to start on FWD ..
> equipment wise?

The best way would be to download X-Lite, an excellent and free SIP
software client. Play with FWD, which is free until you're happy enough
with it to warrant buying hardware.

I own a Grandstream BT 101 and a 102 and they've worked fine for me for
months.

hth

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

"G Amer" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I would like to get onto FWD what is the best way to start on FWD ..
> equipment wise?
>
> I was thinking of buying either the Budgetone 101 or the Handytone 486 but
> cannot dcide and require guidance on pros/cons?

Get the Bugdetone. ATA's are a bit of a hack-job. They require the
ATA electronics to needlessly convert the nice 4-wire signal to a
2-wire signal in order to deliver it to the analog phone. The analog
phone then has to split the signal again with another identical
transformer in reverse. Each of these conversions contribute to
far-end echo.

Strangely the Bugetone can be had cheaper that the Handytone. I'm not
sure why that is.

BTW. Cisco has some nice whitepapers on their site about the
challenges of interoperating VOIP with POTS. In short, calling a POTS
line from VOIP virtually guarantees you'll get an objectionable echo
and need to remove it in software. The more you do to eliminate
far-end echos the better. I can't find the Cisco reference, but this
has some of the same info:

http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/...l/topic06.html

-wolfgang
New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html

root/administrator

G Amer wrote:

> I would like to get onto FWD what is the best way to start on FWD ..
> equipment wise?
>
> I was thinking of buying either the Budgetone 101 or the Handytone 486 but
> cannot dcide and require guidance on pros/cons?
>
> Amer

One of the concerns that I encountered and have avoided is not to use any
end device that is not cordless. For instance, I setup FWD with kphone on a
Linux system that uses the existing audio/sound system. If I just attached
the headset, I would not be able to mobile while talking through FWD calls.
Instead, I have attached an old Internet Phone device called VoiceNet that
interfaces the audio ports from a soundcard to an RJ-11 port with a
cordless phone. That way, while taking FWD calls, I am not attached to the
computer and can easily mobile around the house within the range of my
cordless phone.

--
root/administrator