Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > 3Com NBX 100 DoSing network!

3Com NBX 100 DoSing network!

Greg

Hi,

My company purchased a 3Com NBX 100 phone system, and I installed it
today. It's running without the IP-on-the-fly licence, and is plugged
directly into a SuperStack II switch with the rest of our computers.
The second I plugged it in though, I noticed a sudden surge of
traffic. I tried shutting off auto discovery, and enabled
compression, etc. but this still persists. The status lights on the
switch are at a constant orange indication.

Is this normal behavior of the NBX? Also, would adding the IP licence
prevent this? We have a VPN and multiple subnets, so ultimately I
need to buy it...

Thanks in advance.
Greg Liebowitz

IT Media, Inc.
www.itmediaco.com

John

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Greg) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi,
>
> My company purchased a 3Com NBX 100 phone system, and I installed it
> today. It's running without the IP-on-the-fly licence, and is plugged
> directly into a SuperStack II switch with the rest of our computers.
> The second I plugged it in though, I noticed a sudden surge of
> traffic. I tried shutting off auto discovery, and enabled
> compression, etc. but this still persists. The status lights on the
> switch are at a constant orange indication.
>
> Is this normal behavior of the NBX? Also, would adding the IP licence
> prevent this? We have a VPN and multiple subnets, so ultimately I
> need to buy it...
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Greg Liebowitz

Do you use MOH (Music on Hold)? if you don't, then disable it.

> IT Media, Inc.
> www.itmediaco.com

Greg

Thank you for the tip! I disabled MOH and it solved the problem.

(E-Mail Removed) (John) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Greg) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My company purchased a 3Com NBX 100 phone system, and I installed it
> > today. It's running without the IP-on-the-fly licence, and is plugged
> > directly into a SuperStack II switch with the rest of our computers.
> > The second I plugged it in though, I noticed a sudden surge of
> > traffic. I tried shutting off auto discovery, and enabled
> > compression, etc. but this still persists. The status lights on the
> > switch are at a constant orange indication.
> >
> > Is this normal behavior of the NBX? Also, would adding the IP licence
> > prevent this? We have a VPN and multiple subnets, so ultimately I
> > need to buy it...
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Greg Liebowitz
> >

> Do you use MOH (Music on Hold)? if you don't, then disable it.
>

> > IT Media, Inc.
> > www.itmediaco.com

Chris Hills

Greg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My company purchased a 3Com NBX 100 phone system, and I installed it
> today. It's running without the IP-on-the-fly licence, and is plugged
> directly into a SuperStack II switch with the rest of our computers.
> The second I plugged it in though, I noticed a sudden surge of
> traffic. I tried shutting off auto discovery, and enabled
> compression, etc. but this still persists. The status lights on the
> switch are at a constant orange indication.
>
> Is this normal behavior of the NBX? Also, would adding the IP licence
> prevent this? We have a VPN and multiple subnets, so ultimately I
> need to buy it...
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Greg Liebowitz
>

> IT Media, Inc.
> www.itmediaco.com

Hi Greg

This is because SuperStack II switches do not support multicast
properly. You would not have any problems when using 4400 series or
above switches. The NBX sends the music on hold as multicast, at a
constant rate just high enough to cause the data light to remain
permanently on. This is simply cosmetic, and should not cause any
problem on your network.

Regards

Chris