Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Re: Great Linux Game

Re: Great Linux Game

Sven Lossman wrote:

> Here is a very sweet game for Linux/Windows/Apple.
>
> http://cube.sourceforge.net/

Question from a newbie.

The game I know is excellent providing you have OpenGL working.
But not every liveCD for example boots up with OpenGL working.

The question for those in the know, is why is OpenGL not
integrated into the heart of X?

What I'm really getting at is why is 3D speedy graphics
methods not part of X?

I can imagine it is beneficial for hardware makers
to have some minimal standard to which they can make 3D
cards. To design good 3D cards, you would just need some
good VHDL engineers to make the samples out of FPGA and then
tape out the chips. If you open source the 3D card specs,
the VHDL can also be open sourced (e.g http://www.opencores.org ),
and then you can just download the best VHDL,
and add the extra customisations for making
a great video card at very little development cost.
Just a suggestion.

Ralph

7 wrote:

> Sven Lossman wrote:
>
>> Here is a very sweet game for Linux/Windows/Apple.
>>
>> http://cube.sourceforge.net/

> Question from a newbie.
>
> The game I know is excellent providing you have OpenGL working.
> But not every liveCD for example boots up with OpenGL working.
>
> The question for those in the know, is why is OpenGL not
> integrated into the heart of X?
>
> What I'm really getting at is why is 3D speedy graphics
> methods not part of X?

Because not everyone wants or needs it. Not everyone wants to play 3d games
on Linux. Many of the uses for Linux do not even require X and many people
that use X are on servers that do not need high end video cards... Why have
all that 3d code and expensive cards if not needed?