Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VOIP call capacity of Cisco 1760-V

VOIP call capacity of Cisco 1760-V

Tim Larason

If I am using SIP to send voice calls to the 1760 over the IP network
(instead of through analog FXO ports), how many concurrent call
sessions could it support? I would like to use the IVR functionality
(TCL Scripts or VoiceXML) of the Cisco 1760-V, but am unsure of the
supported call capacity.

I believe the standard 1760-V comes with the following set up:

32-MB Flash memory (16 MB on board, 16 MB in Flash SIMM1 socket)
64-MB DRAM (32 MB on board, 32 MB in DRAM DIMM2 socket)
Cisco IOS IP/Voice Plus feature set

An explanation of how a SIP call session uses system resources would
be extremely helpful for calculating future call capacity based on
different specs.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Kurt Jaeger

Hi!

>sessions could it support? I would like to use the IVR functionality
>(TCL Scripts or VoiceXML) of the Cisco 1760-V, but am unsure of the
>supported call capacity.

It's probably limited to the amount of DSP work needed.

show voice dsp detailed

shows how many channels are handled.

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger 16 years to go !
LF.net GmbH fon +49 711 90074-23 http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Andrew Zhilenko

Hello,

Tim Larason wrote:

> If I am using SIP to send voice calls to the 1760 over the IP network
> (instead of through analog FXO ports), how many concurrent call
> sessions could it support? I would like to use the IVR functionality
> (TCL Scripts or VoiceXML) of the Cisco 1760-V, but am unsure of the
> supported call capacity.

Please note, there are some limitations for the IVR (TCL or VXML) on the
VoIP call leg, the most serious one is that you can only play prompts to
the user if g711 codec is used.

WBR, Andrew
--
Andrew Zhilenko
Please remove "hide-email." from my email address when replying,

Tim Larason

(E-Mail Removed) (Kurt Jaeger) wrote in message news:<c9p6br$a2n$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi!
>
> >sessions could it support? I would like to use the IVR functionality
> >(TCL Scripts or VoiceXML) of the Cisco 1760-V, but am unsure of the
> >supported call capacity.

> It's probably limited to the amount of DSP work needed.
>
> show voice dsp detailed
>
> shows how many channels are handled.

I was assuming that because the calls were coming in over an IP call
leg that they would not require DSP processing, and therefore the
number of calls supported would not be limited by DSP resources. I
assumed DSP's were only used to covert analog voice signals to IP
signals. Is this assumption incorrect?

Thanks for your input.

Kurt Jaeger

Hi!

>> >sessions could it support? I would like to use the IVR functionality
>> >(TCL Scripts or VoiceXML) of the Cisco 1760-V, but am unsure of the
>> >supported call capacity.

>> It's probably limited to the amount of DSP work needed.
>>
>> show voice dsp detailed
>>
>> shows how many channels are handled.

>I was assuming that because the calls were coming in over an IP call
>leg that they would not require DSP processing, and therefore the
>number of calls supported would not be limited by DSP resources.

Even RTP data streams need some DSP resources, e.g. to "parse"
incoming touchtone signal (depending on the encoding used from the remote
side).

>assumed DSP's were only used to covert analog voice signals to IP
>signals. Is this assumption incorrect?

I'm no DSP guru (far from it), but if a digital signal comes
in with some "analog" pattern to match (e.g. some touchtone signal),
I assume it would be the DSP to handle it.

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger 16 years to go !
LF.net GmbH fon +49 711 90074-23 (E-Mail Removed)