Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Receive a cal

Receive a cal

3mR

Hi,
I'm quite ignorant and so this can be a true elementar question: if i have a
24h connection (for example trough bi-directional sat connection) and a
voice-over-ip, can I recieve a call? what's my number?
Thanks,sorry for my awful English
3mR

DevilsPGD

In message <<G0ypc.193458$(E-Mail Removed)>> "3mR"
<(E-Mail Removed)> did ramble:

>I'm quite ignorant and so this can be a true elementar question: if i have a
>24h connection (for example trough bi-directional sat connection) and a
>voice-over-ip, can I recieve a call? what's my number?

It depends on what you're doing. First of all, satellite connections
typically have high latency, which makes VoIP painful to use, although
still possible as long as you have enough available bandwidth (upsteam
and downstream)

Beyond that, if you want a PSTN number that anyone can dial, you will
need to pay for service, something like Vonage is the easiest route to
go, although it's certainly not the only option.

--
I see dumb people, walking around like regular people.
They don't see each other. They only see what they

Psychomation

> Hi,
> I'm quite ignorant and so this can be a true elementar question: if i have
> a 24h connection (for example trough bi-directional sat connection) and a
> voice-over-ip, can I recieve a call? what's my number?
> Thanks,sorry for my awful English
> 3mR

As DevilsPGD points out, a satellite connection may not give usable
results. But to add to your solutions, you could set up your own device on
a normal phone line that you have control over, such as a family member's
or colleague's home or office. There are various hardware devices that can
then "convert" the analog phone call to a voIP call and forward this to
you.

A device called "Internet phone patch"

http://pulverinnovations.com/ipp.html

or the Sipura 3000

http://www.sipura.com/products/spa3000.htm

come to mind but I know there are also other devices that do this. The
most common solution to the problem would be to setup asterisk on a linux
machine at a point where there is a phone line and a high speed Internet
connection. The initial cost of hardward for asterisk can be very low if
you already have or can get a "spare" PC such as an "old" Pentium III
600Mhz or better with 256Megs RAM or more. You would only need to add a
card to connect the box to the phone, such as Digium's X100P.

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=wildcard_x100p

The "phone patch" devices are worth $130-$250.

hth

Juhura Nagamichi

1.) The latency over satelite is much too high. You need a latency
less than 100 ms for VoIP. Get another connection!

2.) The easier and cheaper way to get a PSTN-number is a termination
service like Nikotel, ...

Juhura

3mR

Thanks to everyone!!!

kuese

"3mR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<xAPpc.196240$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Thanks to everyone!!!

A lot of friends may reach you through the internet by calling your
IP-Address or Domain-Name. The only what they need is a internet
connection and a PC-Voip client. e.g. Netmeeting.
As mentioned, for brakouts into a public switched telephony system you
have to contact a local or international PSTN provider.

kuese

Issues with Typed Dataset and dropdown lists causing duplicate cal =?Utf-8?B?TUNVU0E=?= ASP .Net 0 02-15-2007 12:10 AM
CAL and costs Chris ASP .Net 9 02-09-2006 08:59 AM
Kodak DCS-460 CAL-file Gisle Hannemyr Digital Photography 0 08-06-2004 10:13 AM
2K3 Terminal Server CAL Darth 2000 MCSE 13 01-22-2004 03:38 PM
Rental stores in so cal area for hard to find titles Steve DVD Video 2 10-10-2003 08:21 PM

Advertisments