Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > voip software reccomendations

voip software reccomendations

Scot

Can anyone reccommend any decent VoIp software for running on a client
machine? To make calls to others using the same software and also to
standard phone lines.

Thanks,

Scott

Mats K

Scot wrote:
> Can anyone reccommend any decent VoIp software for running on a client
> machine? To make calls to others using the same software and also to
> standard phone lines.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

Whitch OS ?

/Mats

Scot

Windows XP, would be preferred.

I was trying to use Xlite with FreeWorldDialup, but am having troubles with
connecting and also with establishing a connection. This is from behind a
firewall and NAT'ed, which I am assuming is probably quite the issue with
most of these VoIP clients.
"Mats K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Scot wrote:
> > Can anyone reccommend any decent VoIp software for running on a client
> > machine? To make calls to others using the same software and also to
> > standard phone lines.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott

> Whitch OS ?
>

> /Mats

Juhura Nagamichi

"Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<c7tf7a$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> I was trying to use Xlite with FreeWorldDialup, but am having troubles with
> connecting and also with establishing a connection. This is from behind a
> firewall and NAT'ed,

X-ten lite is no problem with NAT, so I assume it's your firewall

Juhura

Psychomation

Stumbling out on on Wed, 12 May 2004 11:20:03 -0400, Scot blithered:

> Windows XP, would be preferred.

X-Lite is the best, has the best documentation and the most features IMO.

> I was trying to use Xlite with FreeWorldDialup, but am having troubles
> with connecting and also with establishing a connection. This is from
> behind a firewall and NAT'ed, which I am assuming is probably quite the

FWD uses a NAT proxy so you shouln't have any problems, except...

- You need to forward port 5060 to the client machine
- You need to forward some RTP (audio) ports to the cient machine

- Make sure "transmit silence" is ON in advanced->audio settings in X-Lite

or

Better yet, get an IAX2 client like IAXPhone, DIAX, Firefly none of which
will require port forwarding on the client end.

Also check the FWD forum where several experienced users help hundreds
of new ones every day.

cheers