Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > cheap within-USA calling wanted

cheap within-USA calling wanted

mike@temperateNOSPAMclimate.com

I am looking to make lots of calls within the USA (PSTN destination)
over VOIP, and need per minute rates as cheap as possible. Several
providers offer 3.9c/min eg Vonage, which is no good.

The best I can find is www.iconnecthere.com who offer 3,000 minutes
for $40 which works out at 1.3c/min, but I am looking to make at least
10,000 minutes monthly of calls, and their rate above 3,000 minutes is
3.9c/min so that's no good.

Do cheap reliable VOIP providers exist in the 1c/min to 1.3c/min range
for the 10,000+ mins range? I specifically want VOIP and not PSTN
originated calls.

John R. Levine

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am looking to make lots of calls within the USA (PSTN destination)
>over VOIP, and need per minute rates as cheap as possible. Several
>providers offer 3.9c/min eg Vonage, which is no good.

For $50/mo, Vonage's small business plan offers unlimited calls to the
U.S. and Canada. You have to use their adapter, of course.
Voicepulse has a similar deal for $45/mo.

Both prohibit telemarketing. fax blasting, and continuous call
forwarding so you'd better give us a hint of what you plan do do with
those 10K minutes so we can suggest a carrier who'll let you do what
you want to do.

On 7 May 2004 01:09:19 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John R. Levine) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I am looking to make lots of calls within the USA (PSTN destination)
>>over VOIP, and need per minute rates as cheap as possible. Several
>>providers offer 3.9c/min eg Vonage, which is no good.

>For $50/mo, Vonage's small business plan offers unlimited calls to the
>U.S. and Canada. You have to use their adapter, of course.
>Voicepulse has a similar deal for $45/mo.
>
>Both prohibit telemarketing. fax blasting, and continuous call
>forwarding so you'd better give us a hint of what you plan do do with
>those 10K minutes so we can suggest a carrier who'll let you do what
>you want to do.

fax blasting

I don't think any provider will allow fax blasting on flat rate. It
will have to be per minute. Cheapest per minute provider?

Brian Young

You need to purchase wholesale to get those rates. Which means you
need to commit to a minimum of a million minutes a month

BY

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am looking to make lots of calls within the USA (PSTN destination)
> over VOIP, and need per minute rates as cheap as possible. Several
> providers offer 3.9c/min eg Vonage, which is no good.
>
> The best I can find is www.iconnecthere.com who offer 3,000 minutes
> for $40 which works out at 1.3c/min, but I am looking to make at least
> 10,000 minutes monthly of calls, and their rate above 3,000 minutes is
> 3.9c/min so that's no good.
>
> Do cheap reliable VOIP providers exist in the 1c/min to 1.3c/min range
> for the 10,000+ mins range? I specifically want VOIP and not PSTN
> originated calls.

John R. Levine

>fax blasting

Don't all those TCPA lawsuits drive up the overall cost?

On 7 May 2004 23:18:59 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (John R. Levine) wrote:

>>fax blasting

>Don't all those TCPA lawsuits drive up the overall cost?

It's for a good cause, as it's not commercial. Without telling you the
details, it's for a project where the recipients get drenched with
faxes anyway, and it wouldn't be appropriate for them to complain if
they get one or two a week from me.

If you can be constructive as to which VOIP provider allows ultra
cheap per minute rates, I would be very interested. Thanks.

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am looking to make lots of calls within the USA (PSTN destination)
> over VOIP, and need per minute rates as cheap as possible. Several
> providers offer 3.9c/min eg Vonage, which is no good.

Is this still the "normal" price level for long distance calls in the US?
Rates for calling the US from Germany starts at about 2.7 USc/min (both
fixed line and VoIP originated calls).

Tor

On 9 May 2004 20:31:02 GMT, John Levine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In his case, he wants to do bulk faxing which all of the flat rate
>plans specifically prohibit, both because it uses a lot more minutes
>than voice users do and because most bulk faxing in the US is illegal.

Is it? I didn't know that. I want to fax about 1,000 business numbers
and it's of a semi-political lobbying nature. The recipients can't
really complain cos it's their job to listen.

Juhura Nagamichi

> Is this still the "normal" price level for long distance calls in the US?
> Rates for calling the US from Germany starts at about 2.7 USc/min (both
> fixed line and VoIP originated calls).

It's even less! Nikotel (www.nikotel.de) charges 0.029 EUR/min but
Sipgate (www.sipgate.de) 0.023 EUR/min.

Juhura

John R. Levine

>>In his case, he wants to do bulk faxing which all of the flat rate
>>plans specifically prohibit, both because it uses a lot more minutes
>>than voice users do and because most bulk faxing in the US is illegal.

>Is it? I didn't know that. I want to fax about 1,000 business numbers
>and it's of a semi-political lobbying nature. The recipients can't
>really complain cos it's their job to listen.

You might want to review 47 USC 227, which bans unsolicited commercial
faxes. Sending political faxes should be OK so long as they're really
political and don't say "support spotted owls by buying our inkjet
cartridges." There's a lot of case law about faxes which purport to
be non-commercial but are really ads with a picture of a missing child
attached.

On the other hand, you're hardly the first person to think of fax
blasting legislators, and it is my impression that the chances are
rather low that your faxes will get more than two seconds of attention
by a staffer on the way from the fax machine to the recycle bin.