Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Best VOIP solution for small office??

Best VOIP solution for small office??

Craig

We have a small company bases in south-eastern Europe and we are about
to move into a new office. We will need to put in place a telephone
system, in the beginning with maybe 4 or 5 phone extensions. What are
the options to install a VOIP solution, so that calls are routed over
the LAN (wired or possibly WIFI)? Is this a better/cheaper option that
normal PBX solution?

I am assuming we need some kind of server for managing incoming calls.
How do we transfer calls to other extenions? Is there an SIP
Switchboard phone setup we can get? I assume we would also need SIP
phones on each desk. Any suggestions on decent, simple and cheap
phones? I am new to VOIP but im interested in its possibilities as we
will already have network connections to each desk.

I also spend about 3 months of the year in Australia so also wondering
what possibilities are for calls to be transferred to me In Australia
over Internet.
Any help that people can give would be appreciated.

Soren Rathje

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> We have a small company bases in south-eastern Europe and we are about
> to move into a new office. We will need to put in place a telephone
> system, in the beginning with maybe 4 or 5 phone extensions. What are
> the options to install a VOIP solution, so that calls are routed over
> the LAN (wired or possibly WIFI)? Is this a better/cheaper option that
> normal PBX solution?
>
> I am assuming we need some kind of server for managing incoming calls.
> How do we transfer calls to other extenions? Is there an SIP
> Switchboard phone setup we can get? I assume we would also need SIP
> phones on each desk. Any suggestions on decent, simple and cheap
> phones? I am new to VOIP but im interested in its possibilities as we
> will already have network connections to each desk.
>
> I also spend about 3 months of the year in Australia so also wondering
> what possibilities are for calls to be transferred to me In Australia
> over Internet.
> Any help that people can give would be appreciated.

www.asteriskpbx.org

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk

-- Soren

Craig

Thanks for the link on info about Asterisk.

Do you know what kind of switchboard-type phone you need for a main
office, to be able to tranfer calls direct to peoples extensions?

"Soren Rathje" <soren%(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<40866ee5$0$254$(E-Mail Removed) >...
> "Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > We have a small company bases in south-eastern Europe and we are about
> > to move into a new office. We will need to put in place a telephone
> > system, in the beginning with maybe 4 or 5 phone extensions. What are
> > the options to install a VOIP solution, so that calls are routed over
> > the LAN (wired or possibly WIFI)? Is this a better/cheaper option that
> > normal PBX solution?
> >
> > I am assuming we need some kind of server for managing incoming calls.
> > How do we transfer calls to other extenions? Is there an SIP
> > Switchboard phone setup we can get? I assume we would also need SIP
> > phones on each desk. Any suggestions on decent, simple and cheap
> > phones? I am new to VOIP but im interested in its possibilities as we
> > will already have network connections to each desk.
> >
> > I also spend about 3 months of the year in Australia so also wondering
> > what possibilities are for calls to be transferred to me In Australia
> > over Internet.
> > Any help that people can give would be appreciated.

> www.asteriskpbx.org
>
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk
>
> -- Soren

Soren Rathje

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Thanks for the link on info about Asterisk.
>
> Do you know what kind of switchboard-type phone you need for a main
> office, to be able to tranfer calls direct to peoples extensions?

Any type of phone or a computer based program. I guess the best place to
ask is the mailinglist at

I don't use a switchboard for my system but I know that several other
members on the list use either Open-Source software in combination with
a regular phone or make their own.

Google is your friend..
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...rs+switchboard

-- Soren