Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Cisco DTMF relay for outgoing call

Cisco DTMF relay for outgoing call

Tobias Erichsen

Hi everyone,

I've got a small problem concerning Cisco VoIP-GWs in connection
with DTMF-relay and outgoing calls:

A H.323 based conferencing-server tries to dial up a peer
which is located in the pstn / isdn. This works fine. When
the connection is established, the participant in the pstn/isdn
is supposed to identify himself with a pin-code using dtmf.

Unfortunately it seems, that I cannot tell the Cisco gateway
to relay those dtmfs from the dialed pstn-peer via H245
alphanumeric to the conference server.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of tweak to get
the behaviour?

Tobias

aal

hello What is DTMF relay

Thanks
"Tobias Erichsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4ufvk$2l8fiu$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a small problem concerning Cisco VoIP-GWs in connection
> with DTMF-relay and outgoing calls:
>
> A H.323 based conferencing-server tries to dial up a peer
> which is located in the pstn / isdn. This works fine. When
> the connection is established, the participant in the pstn/isdn
> is supposed to identify himself with a pin-code using dtmf.
>
> Unfortunately it seems, that I cannot tell the Cisco gateway
> to relay those dtmfs from the dialed pstn-peer via H245
> alphanumeric to the conference server.
>
> Does anyone know if there is some kind of tweak to get
> the behaviour?
>
> Tobias

Tobias Erichsen

"aal" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:40741ca2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello What is DTMF relay

The detection of DTMFs on the pstn-side and transmittal of those using
the signalling-channel. This is necessary, as the dtmf-tones will not be
relayed through the voice-channel correctly when this channel is used
with a compressed codec like G.729 for example.

Tobias

James Calivar

"Tobias Erichsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4ufvk$2l8fiu$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got a small problem concerning Cisco VoIP-GWs in connection
> with DTMF-relay and outgoing calls:
>
> A H.323 based conferencing-server tries to dial up a peer
> which is located in the pstn / isdn. This works fine. When
> the connection is established, the participant in the pstn/isdn
> is supposed to identify himself with a pin-code using dtmf.
>
> Unfortunately it seems, that I cannot tell the Cisco gateway
> to relay those dtmfs from the dialed pstn-peer via H245
> alphanumeric to the conference server.
>
> Does anyone know if there is some kind of tweak to get
> the behaviour?
>
> Tobias

Not sure - but you should be able to find the information on enabling DTMF
relay in the gateway's user's manual. Follow those procedures. If it
doesn't work, you'll have to contact their tech support and ask.

As a workaround, G.729 codec actually passes tones (including DTMF digits)
reasonably well if the sender holds the digit for a bit (say, > 250ms). If
he's dialing out from a PBX, though, he may not have control over the
duration of the digits, and they may not get through.

Good luck

James