Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Re: Best way to connect a Cisco router to a Norstar Meridian

Re: Best way to connect a Cisco router to a Norstar Meridian

The MCK is the best solution but if the boss doesn't want to pay for it just
remind him that he'll get what he pays for. And not to come banging on your
door when it doesn't work well. Having said this, and with NO GUARANTY THAT
IT WILL WORK FOR YOU, I have done just what you describe with the Norstar
and it worked. Oddly, it never even came up. Maybe I was just lucky.

There are a couple other ways to do this, both end up using trunks on the
Norstar so the way the call is handled, and the user experience, is
different. One is to use a T1 trunk on the Norstar and FXS on the far end.
The other is to use analog E&M on the Norstar and FXS on the far end (the
second one I haven't done but "should" work)

news:406acfbe$0$7850$(E-Mail Removed).. .

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk65...800ae2d1.shtml
> (watch for URL wrap!)
>
> If there's no disconnect supervision from the Meridian, will my off
> premise extension on the FXS side of the network (phone B in the
> scenario) continue to ring if it goes unanswered?
>
> Also, what equipment can I use at the far end of the IP network? Can I
> use a Cisco IP telephone, or will it have to be an ordinary phone
> attached to an ATA? In a simple plar-opx environment such as this, do I
> need to implement a gatekeeper such as CallManager or the IOS Telephony
> Service?
>
> thanks for any advice,
> alec

Alec Waters

Hi RC,

> Having said this, and with NO GUARANTY THAT
> IT WILL WORK FOR YOU,

Understood

> I have done just what you describe with the Norstar
> and it worked. Oddly, it never even came up. Maybe I was just lucky.

Wow! What ATA boxes are you using - ATA or ATA-2?

thanks a lot,
alec