Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Vonage ATA devices

Vonage ATA devices

mike@temperateNOSPAMclimate.com

OK, I got a Motorola ATA device when I signed up for Vonage service.
Questions;

The Motorola VT1005v device is specific to Vonage and manufactured for
them. What other manufacturers' devices will work for Vonage, and is
it just a matter of having the same MAC address, what particular
settings need to be specified to make those devices work? Do I need to
request from Vonage their allowing some other device to work with
their system, and do they allow other devices, or only those they
supply?

Is the VT1005v any good for other service providers such as
iconnecthere.com ? Can it be re-configured to work with systems other
than Vonage? It looks somewhat proprietary.

root/administrator

Today, I was tempted to purchase this unit from a local Circuit City. It
carried a price tag of US$100 - US$50 rebate (final price is about US$50).
I am pretty sure the US$50 requires an activation of the product. On the
package, it also said the product is also a router, but did not mention if
the router has a NAT built-in.

--
root/administrator

Vman

root/administrator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<szEcc.205314$po.1036260@attbi_s52>...
> Today, I was tempted to purchase this unit from a local Circuit City. It
> carried a price tag of US$100 - US$50 rebate (final price is about US$50).
> I am pretty sure the US$50 requires an activation of the product. On the
> package, it also said the product is also a router, but did not mention if
> the router has a NAT built-in.
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > OK, I got a Motorola ATA device when I signed up for Vonage service.
> > Questions;
> >
> > The Motorola VT1005v device is specific to Vonage and manufactured for
> > them. What other manufacturers' devices will work for Vonage, and is
> > it just a matter of having the same MAC address, what particular
> > settings need to be specified to make those devices work? Do I need to
> > request from Vonage their allowing some other device to work with
> > their system, and do they allow other devices, or only those they
> > supply?
> >
> > Is the VT1005v any good for other service providers such as
> > iconnecthere.com ? Can it be re-configured to work with systems other
> > than Vonage? It looks somewhat proprietary.

I been trying to do the same. I bought one at Best Buy (89.95 - 50
rebate) on 4/27/04. Basically use port 2 for FWD. I've tried http://
access to no avail. I've also talked to Vonage about unlocking the
Vt1005v for use with others. There tech support didn't no any better.
Telnet might be an option. Anyone else trying. I didn'y get service
yet so I'm going to try and tear it apart.

root/administrator

Vman wrote:

> root/administrator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Today, I was tempted to purchase this unit from a local Circuit City. It
>> carried a price tag of US$100 - US$50 rebate (final price is about
>> US$50). I am pretty sure the US$50 requires an activation of the product.
>> On the package, it also said the product is also a router, but did not
>> mention if the router has a NAT built-in.
>>

>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> > OK, I got a Motorola ATA device when I signed up for Vonage service.
>> > Questions;
>> >
>> > The Motorola VT1005v device is specific to Vonage and manufactured for
>> > them. What other manufacturers' devices will work for Vonage, and is
>> > it just a matter of having the same MAC address, what particular
>> > settings need to be specified to make those devices work? Do I need to
>> > request from Vonage their allowing some other device to work with
>> > their system, and do they allow other devices, or only those they
>> > supply?
>> >
>> > Is the VT1005v any good for other service providers such as
>> > iconnecthere.com ? Can it be re-configured to work with systems other
>> > than Vonage? It looks somewhat proprietary.

> I been trying to do the same. I bought one at Best Buy (89.95 - 50
> rebate) on 4/27/04. Basically use port 2 for FWD. I've tried http://
> access to no avail. I've also talked to Vonage about unlocking the
> Vt1005v for use with others. There tech support didn't no any better.
> Telnet might be an option. Anyone else trying. I didn'y get service
> yet so I'm going to try and tear it apart.

Does not the rebate requires for an activation?

--
root/administrator

Vman

root/administrator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<FQakc.8268$kp.235923@attbi_s52>...
> Vman wrote:
>
> > root/administrator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Today, I was tempted to purchase this unit from a local Circuit City. It
> >> carried a price tag of US$100 - US$50 rebate (final price is about
> >> US$50). I am pretty sure the US$50 requires an activation of the product.
> >> On the package, it also said the product is also a router, but did not
> >> mention if the router has a NAT built-in.

> > I been trying to do the same. I bought one at Best Buy (89.95 - 50
> > rebate) on 4/27/04. Basically use port 2 for FWD. I've tried http://
> > access to no avail. I've also talked to Vonage about unlocking the
> > Vt1005v for use with others. There tech support didn't no any better.
> > Telnet might be an option. Anyone else trying. I didn'y get service
> > yet so I'm going to try and tear it apart.

> Does not the rebate requires for an activation?

No...Give them $89.95. They hand you the box and a $50 rebate form.