Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Free softphone with VPN/Proxy support?

Free softphone with VPN/Proxy support?

Damo

Hi All

I am a newbie to VOIP, so please be gentle!

I work at home often, and connect to my company's intranet by means of
a VPN. When my PC is connected in this way, the VPN does not allow
any local listening ports on my PC. This prevents all of the freeware
softphones that I have seen from working, as they require a listening
socket to receive calls. Naturally, the VPN allows outgoing
connections through a proxy host.

Conceivably, it would be possible to design a softphone that connects
to a proxy server within an intranet, and do all listening on this
proxy server. That way, my PC would only need to make an outgoing
connection, and would still be able to receive calls. Of course, the
connection between such a softphone and its proxy must be held open
even when no calls are in progress.

I am only interested in communicating between softphones, and only
between other users of the intranet.

Does any such system exist?

Kind regards,
Damian.

Viking

We use a Nortel BCM. Supports analog, digital and IPphones and softphones.
Has a integrated VPN concentrator and you get free VPN client soft. The box
supports a lot of nice and advanced features and the softphone is great.
Viking.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Damo) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) m: