Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Send local toll calls over T-1

Send local toll calls over T-1

Joshua Erdman

I am trying to connect 2 campuses via a T-1 for both voice and data.

I have ordered the T-1 and am currently getting a quote on these
parts:

2 - Cisco 2612 routers
2 - NM-2V
2 - WIC-T1/CSU/DSU
1 - VIC-2FXO
1 - VIC-2FXS

I have set up many Point-to-Point T-1s but not with voice. So I am a
little lost with accessories you can add to the router to send voice
over a T-1.

The 2 phone systems I am connecting are a Magix and a Partner.

What I would like to do is have 4 voice lines between the 2 locations
and the rest for data. Since the T-1 and parts have not been ordered
yet, I would like to know if I am getting the right parts for the
optimal configuration. There are so many parts and terms I am not
familiar with:
PLAR
WIC vs. VWIC
can you have different VIC cards on each end?
Will the IP Plus feature set be enough?

Also, can you set up the router to use the full T-1 for data except
when a call needs to be made? Or is that not recommended?

I am thrilled to set something like this up, but am filled with
questions!

Joshua Erdman
Digital Foundation
jerdman @ digitalfoundation.net