Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Vonage - hum and buzz coming from Motorola Voice Terminal

Reply
Thread Tools

Vonage - hum and buzz coming from Motorola Voice Terminal

 
 
Mail Ias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-23-2004
I'm getting a lot of buzz and hum from my Vonage line. Before you start
thinking about VoIP, bandwith, routers, etc. etc. let me stop you. The noise
is there before any of that stuff comes into play.

The noise is present before I dial. If I pick up the phone and dial one digit,
it's there. If I make a call, it's there. If I unplug the ethernet cable and
just pick up a dead line, it's there. I can move the voice terminal adapter to
another room. Plug the adapter into the AC power and the phone into the
adapter, the noise is there. Of course I get no dialtone as I'm not hooked up
to the network.

I can take the same phone and cord and hook it up to:
- my regular phone line, clear as a bell
- ISDN adapter at work with POTS port, no noise.
- ISDN adapter that I used years ago (Motorola Bitsurfr Pro) and it was fine
back then, used it as my main line for years, never any problem.

I discussed this with Vonage tech support and they sent me a new adapter. It's
exactly the same.

I brought all the stuff to work with me, thinking it was an AC line noise or
something. Same problem.

The noise is less noticeable with other phones, but it's still worse than what
it should be. I would expect the line to be completely silent. You're only
talking about a local loop of 3 feet! The phone company stretches copper wire
for miles and can provide a clean signal.

I'm using an AT&T Two Line 742 telephone just like this one on ebay. (I've
tried fresh batteries too, in case you're wondering, no difference). My Voice
Terminal is the Motorola VT1005V.

Any ideas before I call Vonage again?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hank Karl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2004
Have you eliminated a grounding problem?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:41:03 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mail Ias) wrote:

>I'm getting a lot of buzz and hum from my Vonage line. Before you start
>thinking about VoIP, bandwith, routers, etc. etc. let me stop you. The noise
>is there before any of that stuff comes into play.
>
>The noise is present before I dial. If I pick up the phone and dial one digit,
>it's there. If I make a call, it's there. If I unplug the ethernet cable and
>just pick up a dead line, it's there. I can move the voice terminal adapter to
>another room. Plug the adapter into the AC power and the phone into the
>adapter, the noise is there. Of course I get no dialtone as I'm not hooked up
>to the network.

Is your phone AC powered? If so, get a simple POTS phone (one that is
powered off the phone line).

Try a different phone anyway. It may be that your phone is bad, or
incompatible with the adapter.
>
>I can take the same phone and cord and hook it up to:
>- my regular phone line, clear as a bell
>- ISDN adapter at work with POTS port, no noise.
>- ISDN adapter that I used years ago (Motorola Bitsurfr Pro) and it was fine
>back then, used it as my main line for years, never any problem.
>
>I discussed this with Vonage tech support and they sent me a new adapter. It's
>exactly the same.
>
>I brought all the stuff to work with me, thinking it was an AC line noise or
>something. Same problem.
>
>The noise is less noticeable with other phones, but it's still worse than what
>it should be. I would expect the line to be completely silent. You're only
>talking about a local loop of 3 feet! The phone company stretches copper wire
>for miles and can provide a clean signal.
>
>I'm using an AT&T Two Line 742 telephone just like this one on ebay. (I've
>tried fresh batteries too, in case you're wondering, no difference). My Voice
>Terminal is the Motorola VT1005V.
>
>Any ideas before I call Vonage again?
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mail Ias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-24-2004
>Have you eliminated a grounding problem?
>

No. Have tried it at home and at work. Same problem both places. How would
I go about eliminating a grounding problem? I do know that my outlets are
properly grounded.


>Is your phone AC powered? If so, get a simple POTS phone (one that is
>powered off the phone line).
>
>Try a different phone anyway. It may be that your phone is bad, or
>incompatible with the adapter.


Phone is not AC powered. Regular POTS phone. Talked to Vonage support, a guy
who spoke real American english. Said that some phones are not compatible and
suggested I try a different phone.

I will do that, but... I have already tried three different phones now. It's
not as bad on some of the others, but not very good sound still.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voice /Sound mostly coming ,but no voice for Reuters TV & Paltalk on my system Thaqalain Computer Support 3 04-10-2006 12:41 PM
voice chat under win2k: voice pitch wrong, deep voice (3) Sven Holm VOIP 5 09-12-2003 10:26 AM
voice chat under win2k: voice pitch wrong, deep voice (2) Sven Holm VOIP 0 09-09-2003 02:00 PM
voice chat under win2k: voice pitch wrong, deep voice Sven Holm VOIP 0 09-07-2003 03:23 PM



Advertisments