Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Vonage-like VoIP services w/soft phone?

Vonage-like VoIP services w/soft phone?

DevilsPGD

Just curious, are there any Vonage-like VoIP services which will allow
me to use a Cisco ATA-186 (or something similar) when I'm at home, but
use a soft phone on my laptop when I'm away?

I'm currently using Vonage, relatively happy, but the closest I can come
is to purchase their soft phone, use up a separate bank of minutes (So I
can have leftover minutes on one and get billed on the other) and rely
on call-forwarding to get my incoming calls -- No thanks, I'd like to
just turn off the ATA and/or turn on the soft phone.

Anything like that out in the market yet?

For whatever it's worth, I live in Alberta Canada, work for a company in
Dallas TX, can ship product and/or pay for product from either location.
Local numbers in either area preferred, but I'll consider anything.

--
HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts between
consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing parties,

Stuart Friedman

I don't know about what you are looking about, but you can pull off the same
effect with a second ATA and FXS/FXO adapter and something like freeworld
dialup.

Setup two FWD accounts. Buy a cheap second ATA like a grandstream ata 286.
Connect it to the FXO/FXS converter and connect the adapter to your vonage
account. Set it for a two way forward. When a call comes in on Vonage it
will forward to your FWD account. You can program your FWD account to
automatically call your ATA, punch in a PIN, and you have your Vonage
dialtone.

Stu

"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just curious, are there any Vonage-like VoIP services which will allow
> me to use a Cisco ATA-186 (or something similar) when I'm at home, but
> use a soft phone on my laptop when I'm away?
>
> I'm currently using Vonage, relatively happy, but the closest I can come
> is to purchase their soft phone, use up a separate bank of minutes (So I
> can have leftover minutes on one and get billed on the other) and rely
> on call-forwarding to get my incoming calls -- No thanks, I'd like to
> just turn off the ATA and/or turn on the soft phone.
>
> Anything like that out in the market yet?
>
> For whatever it's worth, I live in Alberta Canada, work for a company in
> Dallas TX, can ship product and/or pay for product from either location.
> Local numbers in either area preferred, but I'll consider anything.
>
> --
> HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts between
> consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing parties,
> whom agreed upon such an act BEFOREHAND, will see it.

DevilsPGD

In message <<6jaQb.33320$P%(E-Mail Removed). com>>
"Stuart Friedman" <(E-Mail Removed)> did ramble:

>I don't know about what you are looking about, but you can pull off the same
>effect with a second ATA and FXS/FXO adapter and something like freeworld
>dialup.
>
>Setup two FWD accounts. Buy a cheap second ATA like a grandstream ata 286.
>Connect it to the FXO/FXS converter and connect the adapter to your vonage
>account. Set it for a two way forward. When a call comes in on Vonage it
>will forward to your FWD account. You can program your FWD account to
>automatically call your ATA, punch in a PIN, and you have your Vonage
>dialtone.

I was hoping to find a one-step "service" that offers this, rather then
cooking something myself. If I'm going to build a custom solution of my
own, I'll probably invest and build us an internal PBX in the process,
but I'm not quite ready for that yet.

Stuart Friedman

No one offers unlimited on a softphone. I connect here
(www.iconnecthere.com) offers some decent bucket minute packages for
softphones.