Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Need SIP<>H323 Proxy

Need SIP<>H323 Proxy

Stylz

Hi,

can anyone recommend a budget/open-source SIP<>H323 Proxy?

What we want to do is this:

SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> PSTN GW

and/or

SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> H323 Fone

We tried to setup this using Vovidas siph323csgw but it seems that it
isnt capable of this.

Basicly we need a tool to terminate SIP calls into a H323 Network for
PSTN termination. Ive heard that "Asterisk" may be able to do this
but i havent seen any example setup for this scenario yet.

Alternativley i would welcome any good offers for SIP based PSTN
termination.

Please either reply here or mail av at nethead.de.

best regards,

Arnd

Arnold Ligtvoet

Stylz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone recommend a budget/open-source SIP<>H323 Proxy?
>
> What we want to do is this:
>
> SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> PSTN GW
>
> and/or
>
> SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> H323 Fone
>
> We tried to setup this using Vovidas siph323csgw but it seems that it
> isnt capable of this.
>
> Basicly we need a tool to terminate SIP calls into a H323 Network for
> PSTN termination. Ive heard that "Asterisk" may be able to do this
> but i havent seen any example setup for this scenario yet.
> Arnd

IMHO you can use Asterisk for this. I use Asterisk in a test scenario
where I'm able to interconnect calls from SIP to ISDN, SIP to IAX (Inter
Asterisk Exchange protocol) and vice versa. As long as you don't want to
transcode calls, I don't see any problems.

The setup would be:
SIP Phone <> Asterisk <> H.323 Gateway and/or
SIP Phone <> Asterisk <> H.323 Phone

H.323, as I understand it, is a bit tricky (ie. not standard) in
Asterisk, but I've seen enough people on the Astersisk lists who have
H.323 working. Alternatively you could use Asterisk to provide PSTN
services to SIP clients directly, without the use of H.323. I use this
scenario in 'my' Asterisk box. Sip clients connect to the box, the box
is running Asterisk. From Asterisk I'm able to route calls to ISDN (via
ISDN-2 interface board) and Free World dialup...

--
Arnold

http://www.ligtvoet.org - Edmund Blackadder said :
"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!"
Ask smart questions : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Dan

QTelNet has a soft switch that will do H323 to SIP converstion. The first
24 ports are fre except for a $100 hardware charge. Email me at dan_c06 at
yahoo dot com . I will forward the details that my rep sent me.

"Stylz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> can anyone recommend a budget/open-source SIP<>H323 Proxy?
>
> What we want to do is this:
>
> SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> PSTN GW
>
> and/or
>
> SIP-Fone <> SIP-PROXY <> SIPH323PROXY <> H323 Gatekeeper <> H323 Fone
>
> We tried to setup this using Vovidas siph323csgw but it seems that it
> isnt capable of this.
>
> Basicly we need a tool to terminate SIP calls into a H323 Network for
> PSTN termination. Ive heard that "Asterisk" may be able to do this
> but i havent seen any example setup for this scenario yet.
>
> Alternativley i would welcome any good offers for SIP based PSTN
> termination.
>
> Please either reply here or mail av at nethead.de.
>
> best regards,
>
> Arnd

VoIP Guy

Stylz,

I use telappliant's voiptalk service? They offer sip termination and also
incoming pstn to ip numbers.

VoIPguy