Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > SIPPhone over Taiwan and USA

SIPPhone over Taiwan and USA

T.T.

Hi, all:

Just curious whether anyone here are using SIPPhone (www.sipphone.com)
to make international calls, such as calling from Taiwan to USA. Does
it work out quite well?? Also, on both sides, do I require to keep
turning the router "on" (or at least keep the cable modem or DSL modem
"on") at all times?? Which router works better? Does Taiwan's cable
modem ISP services in average has enough bandwidth to USA?? The
Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

Linus Surguy

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (T.T.) wrote:
>Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
>bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call across
the phone network, - so the answer is yes.

LInus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.8p/1.5p South Africa 8p US, France, Germany Italy 3p
Looking for VoIP? We will gateway SIP & IAX to and from the PSTN.

Miguel Cruz

Linus Surguy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (T.T.) wrote:
>> Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
>> bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

> That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call
> across the phone network, - so the answer is yes.

Though a PSTN phone call has a lot less protocol overhead.

The question is whether aggressive compression can make up for that.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

VoIP Guy

With the overhead, a g711 (64k) actually ends up using around 80K.

news:jPqOb.11638$(E-Mail Removed)...

(E-Mail Removed) (Linus Surguy) wrote in message news:<40091c70.1028220502@10.0.0.3>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (T.T.) wrote:
> >Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
> >bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

> That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call across
> the phone network, - so the answer is yes.
>
> LInus

Just to clarify, the 64K upstream/downstream used by standard PSTN,
are we talking about Kbps or K Bytes/sec??
I just tried to test the connection speed from San Francisco to Taiwan
using this site (http://speed.anet.net.tw/), and I'm getting this
number:

191 Kbps
23.4 K Bytes/sec

Am I OK to use those SIPPhones for free international phone calls over
Internet between San Francisco and Taiwan?? Many thanks!
By the way, I'm using SBC/Yahoo DSL broadband services on my
computer...

Linus Surguy

(E-Mail Removed) (T.T.) wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Linus Surguy) wrote in message news:<40091c70.1028220502@10.0.0.3>...
>> (E-Mail Removed) (T.T.) wrote:
>> >Sipphone claims that it only needs 64K upstream/downstream of
>> >bandwidth for good sound quality, is this really true?? Thanks!

>> That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call across
>> the phone network, - so the answer is yes.

>Just to clarify, the 64K upstream/downstream used by standard PSTN,
>are we talking about Kbps or K Bytes/sec??
>I just tried to test the connection speed from San Francisco to Taiwan
>using this site (http://speed.anet.net.tw/), and I'm getting this
>number:
>
>191 Kbps
>23.4 K Bytes/sec
>
>Am I OK to use those SIPPhones for free international phone calls over
>Internet between San Francisco and Taiwan?? Many thanks!
>By the way, I'm using SBC/Yahoo DSL broadband services on my
>computer...

No problem. In answer to your question 'standard' telephone circuits use 64 K
bits per second, if you use G.711 code for VoIP, the protocol overheads tend to
grow that to 74 K bits per second.

If you find you havnt got enough due to the international element, use a
compressed codec such as GSM or G.729a.

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5p South Africa 8p US, France, Germany Italy 3p

(E-Mail Removed) (Linus Surguy) wrote in message news:<40220132.404568488@10.0.0.3>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (T.T.) wrote:
>
> >(E-Mail Removed) (Linus Surguy) wrote in message news:<40091c70.1028220502@10.0.0.3>...
> >>
> >> That is exactly the same bandwidth that is used by a standard PSTN call across
> >> the phone network, - so the answer is yes.

> >Just to clarify, the 64K upstream/downstream used by standard PSTN,
> >are we talking about Kbps or K Bytes/sec??
> >I just tried to test the connection speed from San Francisco to Taiwan
> >using this site (http://speed.anet.net.tw/), and I'm getting this
> >number:
> >
> >191 Kbps
> >23.4 K Bytes/sec
> >
> >Am I OK to use those SIPPhones for free international phone calls over
> >Internet between San Francisco and Taiwan?? Many thanks!
> >By the way, I'm using SBC/Yahoo DSL broadband services on my
> >computer...

> No problem. In answer to your question 'standard' telephone circuits use 64 K
> bits per second, if you use G.711 code for VoIP, the protocol overheads tend to
> grow that to 74 K bits per second.
>
> If you find you havnt got enough due to the international element, use a
> compressed codec such as GSM or G.729a.
>
> Linus

Thanks, Linus!
By the way, just to update, the connection speed test from San
Francisco to Taiwan (Taipei) using my SBC/Yahoo DSL services is:

304.5 Kbps
37.3 K Bytes/sec

By the way, the only SIPPhone services that I know of right now is
just the http://www.sipphone.com - is there any other companies that
are doing SIPPhone?? It seems that other companies are also selling
those SIPPhone adapters that is compatible with the SIPPhone.com
services, which adapter should I buy?? Also, the compressed codec such
as GSM or G.729a, are you talking about "software codec" (that require
a PC) or "hardware codec (embedded inside of the SIPPhone adapter or
SIPPhone phone)?? Thanks!

Is there any good book that talk more about this SIP technology??
Thanks!