Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > using voip over a home wireless network

using voip over a home wireless network

Josh Fruhlinger

Greetings to the newsgroup-

My girlfriend's father is going to be staying with us and working from
our home for the next week or so, and he's bringing his Vonage phone. I
have a wireless (802.11g wi-fi) network set up in the house, and I'd
like to hook him into that rather than run cables all through the house.
Ideally, I'd like to hook him up as shown in the diagram here (from
Vonage's site):

http://www.vonage.com/identity/vonag...router_adapter.
gif

The only difference would be that the connection between the router and
the digital phone adapter would be achieved by using a wireless bridge
(which would have an ethernet port that the Vonage phone adapter could
plug into). From looking over all the various documentation, I know
this should work in theory; however, I'm not sure if the quality of the
wireless connection would be good enough to really hold phone
conversations over. Has anyone tried anything like this, and if so,
what were your results?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Miguel Cruz

Josh Fruhlinger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The only difference would be that the connection between the router and
> the digital phone adapter would be achieved by using a wireless bridge
> (which would have an ethernet port that the Vonage phone adapter could
> plug into). From looking over all the various documentation, I know
> this should work in theory; however, I'm not sure if the quality of the
> wireless connection would be good enough to really hold phone
> conversations over. Has anyone tried anything like this, and if so,
> what were your results?

Works for me. If you have a lot of interference, then there could be
trouble, but under decent conditions it seems to be fine.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/