Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Purpose of a Gatekeeper ?

Purpose of a Gatekeeper ?

Surfer

Can anyone help me understand the reason(s) why a Gatekeeper is necessary in
a VoIP network ?

And how are these reasons applied to ISP Services Provviders that offer
Prepaid VoIP calling card services, for example.

Thanks (novice VoIP....obvisoulsy)

SPD

It isn't. Think of a gatekeeper as an entity where you implement
access & dialing policy for a given set of machines speaking H.323,
called a zone. The gatekeeper registration, admission and status
(RAS) operations control who can register and call into/out of
the zone.

H.323 endpoints, like a Call Manager, can make use of a gatekeeper
but it is not required. Also there is no gatekeeper in environments
using other signaling protocols, like SIP.

-Steve

Gatekeeper Stress Test adolfo.arizpe@gmail.com Cisco 0 02-24-2005 02:02 AM
gatekeeper and cdr david Cisco 1 05-27-2004 08:24 PM
How to register Cisco call manager to Cisco 3640 gatekeeper David Cisco 0 05-10-2004 10:13 AM
Proxy Gatekeeper ??? archstein Cisco 0 04-26-2004 03:01 AM
SIP Gatekeeper Warrick FitzGerald Cisco 1 12-15-2003 08:27 PM

Advertisments