Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Voice Plus or Vonage

Voice Plus or Vonage

Bill Zink

I've been using Packet 8 for a week and sometimes have problems with
noise on the line. I'll probably have to cancel under their money back
guarantee. Voice Plus has a $15/month plan that would be good for me.
With Vonage I'd have to pay $25/month. Any comments on sound quality
with these 2 companies? I use a cable modem with a LinkSys router.

Bill Zink

Meant to say Voice Pulse.

John R. Levine

>guarantee. Voice Pulse has a $15/month plan that would be good for me.
>With Vonage I'd have to pay $25/month. Any comments on sound quality
>with these 2 companies? I use a cable modem with a LinkSys router.

The Voicepulse $15 plan is local unlimited plus 200 national minutes.
Vonage also has a $15 plan with 500 national minutes.

The voice quality with Vonage depends on how busy the net is between
your ISP and their gateway. For me, it's crummy on weekday mornings,
pretty good otherwise. I haven't used Voicepulse but from what little
I've heard, their sound quality should be similar.

Voicepulse has more features, e.g. different ring for certain numbers
you like, permanent busy signal for people you don't like. Vonage
offers local numbers in a lot more parts of the country than
Voicepulse.