Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Device to 'drive' existing home analog phone network?

Device to 'drive' existing home analog phone network?

B.A.S.

This has probably been asked before, but I can't seem to come up with
the proper search terms on google groups to find it...

I'm considering providers such as Packet8, and would like to hook their
box (DTA310 ) up to my whole existing home phone network (after
disconnecting from PSTN), but they claim it can only drive 3 phones max.
I assume this is because there is current draw for each phone, to drive
ringing, etc.

Has anyone tried driving more than 3 phones by plugging a DTA310 into
their home phone wiring?

Assuming it won't work, is there any sort of device available out there
which will drive a dozen or so analog phones, to which I could hook up
the DTA310? That way I wouldn't have to toss all my existing phones...

The other alternative is to buy one of the wireless base
station/extension configs that will support a large number of
extensions, but that would be a fair chunk of change.

On a related note, my biggest concern with dropping off the PSTN would
be how to get 911 capability with a VOIP setup. I know they wouldn't get
ANI which would identify my location, and there would be no 'operator
hold', but if I could just dial them with a 7 digit number, I could
program all the phones with that number speed dialed in, and train the
household to use it (wouldn't work too well with visitors, though ).
This deficiency may keep my from making the cut, but I'm still curious
whether it could all be done otherwise, for minimal expense.

Thanks,

B.A.S.

Simon Newton

"B.A.S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GrjLb.192958$(E-Mail Removed) r.com...

> Assuming it won't work, is there any sort of device available out there
> which will drive a dozen or so analog phones, to which I could hook up
> the DTA310? That way I wouldn't have to toss all my existing phones...

You need whats called R.E.N. booster (Ringer equivalence number). This
basicly puts more current into the wire to drive more phones.

simon