Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Poor ISP

Poor ISP

328.28.00

halo all,
can U give me any solution my problem. I used poor ISP (cant change
his). I have very big latency, not constans delay packets, and voice
whitch i send from point 1 to point 2 via internet is not good, i tell
voice is poor. Dont loose packiets, but voice is sometimes is like
"robot machine" i use DSL 512/128 kb - MTU i set 512, ToS short delay.

Any idea ?

R,
--
: "Z tylu roznych dróg przez zycie, kazdy ma prawo wybrac zle".
: GG: 328.28.00 Email: studio(a.t)post.pl (Staszewski)

: Zanim przeslesz do mnie email: http://212.126.18.251/nospam/

Arnold Ligtvoet

328.28.00 wrote:

> halo all,
> can U give me any solution my problem. I used poor ISP (cant change
> his). I have very big latency, not constans delay packets, and voice
> whitch i send from point 1 to point 2 via internet is not good, i tell
> voice is poor. Dont loose packiets, but voice is sometimes is like
> "robot machine" i use DSL 512/128 kb - MTU i set 512, ToS short delay.
>
> Any idea ?
>

> R,

Hmmm, I would change ISP but since this is not possible you could try to
cancel out the latency by taking the maximum RTT time and setting your
jitter buffers to this value. For example:
- max rtt : 540 ms
- min rtt : 10 ms

Set your jitter buffer to something near or over 540. The bad thing you
are introducing now is the 'breakie-breakie-over' effect. Really a
need-to-have for VoIP is a good and stable connection to whatever IP
network you want to use.

--
Arnold

http://www.ligtvoet.org
Ask smart questions : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

328.28.00

Użytkownik Arnold Ligtvoet napisał:

[...]

i do this, sounds some better

R,
--

328.28.00 wrote:

> Użytkownik Arnold Ligtvoet napisał:
>
> [...]
>
> i do this, sounds some better
>
> R,

Succes. I don't know what hardware you are using, but I think I remember
seeing some VoIP equipment doing dynamic jitter buffers. If your
hardware supports this it would be better to use this feature.

Again a bad thing, the 'other-side' needs the same hardware or at least
hardware that has support for dynamic jitter buffers.

--
Arnold

http://www.ligtvoet.org
Ask smart questions : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

328.28.00

Użytkownik Arnold Ligtvoet napisał:

[...]

i use "no-name" hardware, and i hope so that this machine dont support
this.

R,