Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Using Unimodem Full Duplex Audio Device for VOIP

Using Unimodem Full Duplex Audio Device for VOIP

I have an "HSP56 MR" modem on my XP machine. When setting up the
playback and record options in VOIP software I have "Modem #0 Handset
Playback" as a playback device choice, and "Modem #0 Handset Record"
as record device choice.

However, when I choose "Test Hardware" with these devices selected, it
responds that the sound hardware cannot play sounds. I have a
standard wired phone attached.

I haven't been able to find info regarding this on the web. This
appears like a way to use existing handsets for VOIP calls - unless I
am missing something...

Is this even possible?

Thanks a lot,

root/administrator

j wrote:

> I have an "HSP56 MR" modem on my XP machine. When setting up the
> playback and record options in VOIP software I have "Modem #0 Handset
> Playback" as a playback device choice, and "Modem #0 Handset Record"
> as record device choice.
>
> However, when I choose "Test Hardware" with these devices selected, it
> responds that the sound hardware cannot play sounds. I have a
> standard wired phone attached.

Doesn't this type of Data/FAX/Voice modem require a sound card?

> I haven't been able to find info regarding this on the web. This
> appears like a way to use existing handsets for VOIP calls - unless I
> am missing something...
>
> Is this even possible?
>
> Thanks a lot,

root/administrator

j7

root/administrator wrote:
> Doesn't this type of Data/FAX/Voice modem require a sound card?

How I understand it.... this is a Modem Riser attached to my motherboard
which also has integrated sound.
-J

> j wrote:
>

>>I have an "HSP56 MR" modem on my XP machine. When setting up the
>>playback and record options in VOIP software I have "Modem #0 Handset
>>Playback" as a playback device choice, and "Modem #0 Handset Record"
>>as record device choice.
>>
>>However, when I choose "Test Hardware" with these devices selected, it
>>responds that the sound hardware cannot play sounds. I have a
>>standard wired phone attached.
>>

> Doesn't this type of Data/FAX/Voice modem require a sound card?
>

>>I haven't been able to find info regarding this on the web. This
>>appears like a way to use existing handsets for VOIP calls - unless I
>>am missing something...
>>
>>Is this even possible?
>>
>>Thanks a lot,

root/administrator

IIRC, most voice modems require a sound system (either built-in or add-in)
to operate to process voice.

j7 wrote:

> root/administrator wrote:
> > Doesn't this type of Data/FAX/Voice modem require a sound card?

> How I understand it.... this is a Modem Riser attached to my motherboard
> which also has integrated sound.
> -J
>
>> j wrote:
>>

>>>I have an "HSP56 MR" modem on my XP machine. When setting up the
>>>playback and record options in VOIP software I have "Modem #0 Handset
>>>Playback" as a playback device choice, and "Modem #0 Handset Record"
>>>as record device choice.
>>>
>>>However, when I choose "Test Hardware" with these devices selected, it
>>>responds that the sound hardware cannot play sounds. I have a
>>>standard wired phone attached.
>>>

>> Doesn't this type of Data/FAX/Voice modem require a sound card?
>>

>>>I haven't been able to find info regarding this on the web. This
>>>appears like a way to use existing handsets for VOIP calls - unless I
>>>am missing something...
>>>
>>>Is this even possible?
>>>
>>>Thanks a lot,

root/administrator