Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Rerouting Cisco calls via H.323

Reply
Thread Tools

Rerouting Cisco calls via H.323

 
 
Pete Calvert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2003
Hello,

I currently have a project where one of the possible solutions could be to
reroute Cisco VOIP calls through a seperate network to simulate different
network conditions via bespoke network emulation software.

I am looking at using the H.323 interaction capabilties in Cisco
Callmanager 3.3 to connect to a H.323 gateway and then reroute the call
through the additional network and back into the Cisco network.

I have only just started on this project and am not really familiar with
either Cisco Callmanager or H.323 so I'm trying to find some good resources
to see if this is a feasible solution.

If anyone could suggest some good websites to look at, or if anyone has
done something similar I would be very interested.

Many thanks.

Pete

--
Pete Calvert
Scientist
QinetiQ
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)AM (remove NOSPAM to reply)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Arnold Ligtvoet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2003
Pete Calvert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have a project where one of the possible solutions could be
> to reroute Cisco VOIP calls through a seperate network to simulate
> different network conditions via bespoke network emulation software.
>
> I am looking at using the H.323 interaction capabilties in Cisco
> Callmanager 3.3 to connect to a H.323 gateway and then reroute the call
> through the additional network and back into the Cisco network.
>
> I have only just started on this project and am not really familiar with
> either Cisco Callmanager or H.323 so I'm trying to find some good
> resources to see if this is a feasible solution.
>
> If anyone could suggest some good websites to look at, or if anyone has
> done something similar I would be very interested.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Pete
>


Hi Pete,

A possible solution could be to have the CCM 'talk' to a VoIP enabled
router like the 1751 or 1760. On this router you should have to NIC's in
different network ranges. Connect both NIC's to a Linux machine to
routes packets from the first network into the second and vice versa. On
this linux machine you can have all sorts of emulation software slowing
down the router or introducing all kinds of test setups.

On the CCM you will need to setup some 'route-patterns', try cisco.com
and search for route-pattern. On the router you will need to setup
dial-peers, again try cisco.com for dial-peer. Possibly you would also
need to setup translation rules on the router.


--
Arnold

http://www.ligtvoet.org
Ask smart questions : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pete Calvert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:51:26 +0100, Arnold Ligtvoet <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:


>
> Hi Pete,
>
> A possible solution could be to have the CCM 'talk' to a VoIP enabled
> router like the 1751 or 1760. On this router you should have to NIC's in
> different network ranges. Connect both NIC's to a Linux machine to routes
> packets from the first network into the second and vice versa. On this
> linux machine you can have all sorts of emulation software slowing down
> the router or introducing all kinds of test setups.
>
> On the CCM you will need to setup some 'route-patterns', try cisco.com
> and search for route-pattern. On the router you will need to setup dial-
> peers, again try cisco.com for dial-peer. Possibly you would also need to
> setup translation rules on the router.
>
>


Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the information, that definitely looks like it could be a useful
option. I've had a look at the Cisco site and I have a couple of questions
about the specifics of this setup. The 1760 router has one 10/100 Ethernet
port, and four slots for WIC/VIC cards. So would it be a case of also
buying two Ethernet WIC cards and connecting these to the Linux machine,
and then then use the Ethernet port to connect to the current VOIP network.
I'm also worried that the router will be 'smart' and realise that it isn't
necessary to go through the extra network in order to reach the other
phone. I'm guessing that the route-patterns and dial peers will avoid this
problem if configured correctly.

Thanks

Pete
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arnold Ligtvoet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003
Pete Calvert wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:51:26 +0100, Arnold Ligtvoet <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>>
>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> A possible solution could be to have the CCM 'talk' to a VoIP enabled
>> router like the 1751 or 1760. On this router you should have to NIC's
>> in different network ranges. Connect both NIC's to a Linux machine to
>> routes packets from the first network into the second and vice versa.
>> On this linux machine you can have all sorts of emulation software
>> slowing down the router or introducing all kinds of test setups.
>>
>> On the CCM you will need to setup some 'route-patterns', try cisco.com
>> and search for route-pattern. On the router you will need to setup
>> dial- peers, again try cisco.com for dial-peer. Possibly you would
>> also need to setup translation rules on the router.
>>
>>

>
> Hi Arnold,
>
> Thanks for the information, that definitely looks like it could be a
> useful option. I've had a look at the Cisco site and I have a couple of
> questions about the specifics of this setup. The 1760 router has one
> 10/100 Ethernet port, and four slots for WIC/VIC cards. So would it be
> a case of also buying two Ethernet WIC cards and connecting these to the
> Linux machine, and then then use the Ethernet port to connect to the
> current VOIP network. I'm also worried that the router will be 'smart'
> and realise that it isn't necessary to go through the extra network in
> order to reach the other phone. I'm guessing that the route-patterns
> and dial peers will avoid this problem if configured correctly.
>
> Thanks
>
> Pete


I would guess that your routing questions could be solved by setting
default gateways out of the cisco router, but I'm not sure if the router
will listen to these.

As you can see in the group, I've been playing with asterisk a bit. I
imagine you could also you this for testing the cisco stuff.

Setup would be something like:

cisco cm > router > linux asterisk
|
2nd ext at cm < router < extension x

This setup would be dialout from phone 1 on ccm, create a dial-peer on
the router so that the call is forwarded to asterisk, in asterisk
extension.conf create an extension that says something like:
exten => 500,1,H323,(E-Mail Removed)

I'm not really sure of the H323 syntax in *, since mine is not H323
enabled. The call is then routed back into the router, make sure you
have a translation rule that macthes the incoming called number to a
valid cisco extension, and the call signals at extension 2 on the ccm.

Again I would assume that you could introduce all sorts of network
trouble on the linux side using software, although I couldn't tell you
which software.


--
Arnold

http://www.ligtvoet.org
Ask smart questions : http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
aaaa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2003
Hey~ why dun u try a SoftSwitch and turn on the Proxy?


"Pete Calvert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I currently have a project where one of the possible solutions could be to
> reroute Cisco VOIP calls through a seperate network to simulate different
> network conditions via bespoke network emulation software.
>
> I am looking at using the H.323 interaction capabilties in Cisco
> Callmanager 3.3 to connect to a H.323 gateway and then reroute the call
> through the additional network and back into the Cisco network.
>
> I have only just started on this project and am not really familiar with
> either Cisco Callmanager or H.323 so I'm trying to find some good

resources
> to see if this is a feasible solution.
>
> If anyone could suggest some good websites to look at, or if anyone has
> done something similar I would be very interested.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Calvert
> Scientist
> QinetiQ
> (E-Mail Removed)AM (remove NOSPAM to reply)



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rerouting incoming PSTN line pbscott UK VOIP 3 08-26-2006 11:26 AM
rerouting incoming PSTN line pbscott UK VOIP 0 08-17-2006 10:10 AM
rerouting incoming PSTN line pbscott UK VOIP 0 08-17-2006 10:10 AM
Rerouting Requests via a Proxy because of .NET "bug" Codex Twin ASP .Net 8 12-03-2004 05:54 PM
Forms Authentication, external authentication server, & rerouting to orig. req. URL Andrew Connell ASP .Net 1 10-21-2003 05:41 PM



Advertisments