Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Cisco IP phones (7940 and 7960) and broadcast problems

Cisco IP phones (7940 and 7960) and broadcast problems

Jii

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed that Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones might have
some problems when there a many broadcast packets flowing through its
switch ports?

Many meaning 100-300 packets per second.

Even with separate VLAN for voice traffic, the broadcasts in the pc
VLAN seem to affect the switch in the phone.

Phone becomes slow, unresponsive and call quality gets bad.

-JJ

shido

You may want to look into using Asterisk as your callmanager.
http://www.asterisk.org

--
Greg Merriweather
The NuFone Network

"Jii" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone else noticed that Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones might have
> some problems when there a many broadcast packets flowing through its
> switch ports?
>
> Many meaning 100-300 packets per second.
>
> Even with separate VLAN for voice traffic, the broadcasts in the pc
> VLAN seem to affect the switch in the phone.
>
> Phone becomes slow, unresponsive and call quality gets bad.
>
> -JJ

Arnold Ligtvoet

shido wrote:
>>"Jii" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone else noticed that Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones might have
>> some problems when there a many broadcast packets flowing through its
>> switch ports?
>>
>> Many meaning 100-300 packets per second.
>>
>> Even with separate VLAN for voice traffic, the broadcasts in the pc
>> VLAN seem to affect the switch in the phone.
>>
>> Phone becomes slow, unresponsive and call quality gets bad.
>>
>> -JJ

> You may want to look into using Asterisk as your callmanager.
> http://www.asterisk.org

Why is this a solution to the question ?

Arnold

shido

Never ran into this issue with Asterisk. Phone registers to the linux box
with asterisk on it and I make phone calls to other softphones/ip phones or
the PSTN via IAX2 according to the dialplan I've set... and I'm nat'd.

--
Greg Merriweather
The NuFone Network

"Arnold Ligtvoet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> shido wrote:
> >>"Jii" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Has anyone else noticed that Cisco 7940 and 7960 phones might have
> >> some problems when there a many broadcast packets flowing through its
> >> switch ports?
> >>
> >> Many meaning 100-300 packets per second.
> >>
> >> Even with separate VLAN for voice traffic, the broadcasts in the pc
> >> VLAN seem to affect the switch in the phone.
> >>
> >> Phone becomes slow, unresponsive and call quality gets bad.
> >>
> >> -JJ

> > You may want to look into using Asterisk as your callmanager.
> > http://www.asterisk.org
> >

> Why is this a solution to the question ?
>
> Arnold

Arnold Ligtvoet

shido wrote:

> Never ran into this issue with Asterisk. Phone registers to the linux box
> with asterisk on it and I make phone calls to other softphones/ip phones or
> the PSTN via IAX2 according to the dialplan I've set... and I'm nat'd.

Oke, this is new. I looked at the Asterisk website but did not see
specific support for the Cisco phones. Let me get this correct: what you
are saying is that 7960/40 Cisco phones work on Asterisk when set to SIP
mode?

Are all (or most) features supported on the phone?

TIA,

Arnold

Shaun Ewing

> Oke, this is new. I looked at the Asterisk website but did not see
> specific support for the Cisco phones. Let me get this correct: what you
> are saying is that 7960/40 Cisco phones work on Asterisk when set to SIP
> mode?

Correct. I've got an Asterisk system in production here with 7960 and 7940
phones.

> Are all (or most) features supported on the phone?

I've yet to run into a feature that is unsupported - so yep

> TIA,
>
> Arnold

-Shaun