Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Improving Vonage service

Improving Vonage service

alkali

I've had Vonage service for about four months now, and until recently
experienced a small number of intermittent problems, which I figured
amounted to the kinds of glitches that you run into if you're an early
adopter. I recently learned that I had been suffering unnecessarily.
If you have or are about to get Vonage service, I strongly recommend
that you do the following:

1. Upgrade your router's firmware. (If you haven't done this before,
this involves going to your router manufacturer's web site and
downloading a program that will update the internal software on your
router. After you do this, all internal settings on your router will
be restored to their defaults, and you'll have to make any adjustments
you've lost.)

2. Adjust your router's settings for optimal performance with Vonage.
Vonage has a web site ( http://www.vonage.com/learn_routers.php )
where you can get this information for about a dozen routers; if your
router isn't listed, you should call them, because they have
information for other routers. In particular, some port forwarding
settings suggested by Vonage drastically improved my level of service.