Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Beginner question about SIP

Beginner question about SIP

Peter Reinhold

Hi All,

I've recently stumbled upen the whole world of SIPPhones and VoIP, and
I have been trying to get some answers by surfing the web, but haven't
found any.

My question, or rather, questions, are these.

Is it possible to set up a server at home, that can be used as a
"phonebook"/directory (i THINK this is called a redirector service,
but I am not really familiar with all the terms in the world of VoIP),
and then get a hardware SIP phone to use it?

Specifically I am looking at this phone at the moment,
http://www.sipphone.com/tiki-index.php?page=Order%20Now, but that
could change. (As far as I can read, it is possible to change the
phones setup to use the directory service of your choice)

So, in short, is it possible to download software (preferably for
Windows), which is free / open-sourced, which will allow me to set up
a small VoIP network?

Regards,

Peter Reinhold / peter ]at[ reinhold ]dot[ dk