Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Want to make phone calls across internet between 2 locations with hardware boxes-how to setup/what do I need?

Want to make phone calls across internet between 2 locations with hardware boxes-how to setup/what do I need?

Eric Kotz

OK all, let me explain what I'm trying to do. There's probally a good
FAQ out there regarding this, but I haven't found it, so if someone
can provide a link, I'd apprecaite it.
I'm a college student and want to use a VOIP box of sometype (such as
a Cisco ATA-186) to be able to call my parents at home and vice versa.
Ideally, picking up a phone at one end makes the phone at the other
end ring without dialing anything, but if necessary, dialing is OK. I
want to use a hardware solution such as the ATA-186; I don't want to
have to run software on a PC and use a headset or similar.
Anyway, I don't even know where to begin regarding this. What
hardware do I need besides the ATA-186's (or equivellent) Do I need
to setup a SIP gateway. One side will have a public IP;
alternatively, I can use my existing VPN to link the two VOIP boxes.
If I need to run software of some type (SIP?), is there a Linux
program that works well, or will I be forced to run server software
under Windows?
Is there anything that's roughly equivellent to, but cheaper than, a
Cisco ATA-186? I don't want to use a solution that connects to a
computer via USB-I want to plug a phone into it, and an ethernet
cable. What about if I want to setup something in future sort of like
a mini-phone network, where I can call between a few ATA-186's or
equivellents, at that point, I would assume I would have to setup a
server of some kind, but what type?

Thanks,
Eric Kotz

John R. Levine

> I'm a college student and want to use a VOIP box of sometype (such
> as a Cisco ATA-186) to be able to call my parents at home and vice
> versa.

I'd set them both up on FWD or sipphone. Then you can just call one
from the other. They're both free, so why hassle with setting up your
own server or progamming the phones to find each other?

I see that sipphone will sell you a pair of Budgetone VoIP phones for
$130. Has anyone used them? Are they any good?

Another possibility would be to sign up for Packet8's $6/mo service
with no bundled POTS minutes, since intranetwork calls are free. You
have to pay the $6/mo, but the equipment is only $30.

NO_SPAMMERS

Have a look at Free World DialUp (http://www.pulver.com/fwd). It uses SIP
for handshaking. If you + your folks have a Cisco ATA-186 on each end, then
FWD can be used as your phonebook server. Just open a FREE account for both
you and your folks in order to use the server (of course you will need to
read some docs on the site to understand how to setup your devices). I use
VoIPBlaster (VB) that I paid for US$10/each and am very happy with this
device. The only caveat (as far as I am concerned) is that this device has
a hardcoded G.723 CoDecs; thus, you can't turn it off and replace with
other CoDecs to sen FAX or data. Mind you that this VB is only an FXS
device. If you are on a budget and can still find this device very
inexpensive (cause it has been discontinued), then I suggest that you take
a look at the following sites:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fobbit
http://sourceforge.net/projects/voip-blaster

http://www.asterisk.org
http://www.gnugk.org
http://www.OpenH323.org

The first two sites are mainly for VB whereas the last three are more for
setting up a gateway in general.

Good luck.

Eric Kotz wrote:

> OK all, let me explain what I'm trying to do. There's probally a good
> FAQ out there regarding this, but I haven't found it, so if someone
> can provide a link, I'd apprecaite it.
> I'm a college student and want to use a VOIP box of sometype (such as
> a Cisco ATA-186) to be able to call my parents at home and vice versa.
> Ideally, picking up a phone at one end makes the phone at the other
> end ring without dialing anything, but if necessary, dialing is OK. I
> want to use a hardware solution such as the ATA-186; I don't want to
> have to run software on a PC and use a headset or similar.
> Anyway, I don't even know where to begin regarding this. What
> hardware do I need besides the ATA-186's (or equivellent) Do I need
> to setup a SIP gateway. One side will have a public IP;
> alternatively, I can use my existing VPN to link the two VOIP boxes.
> If I need to run software of some type (SIP?), is there a Linux
> program that works well, or will I be forced to run server software
> under Windows?
> Is there anything that's roughly equivellent to, but cheaper than, a
> Cisco ATA-186? I don't want to use a solution that connects to a
> computer via USB-I want to plug a phone into it, and an ethernet
> cable. What about if I want to setup something in future sort of like
> a mini-phone network, where I can call between a few ATA-186's or
> equivellents, at that point, I would assume I would have to setup a
> server of some kind, but what type?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Kotz
> (E-Mail Removed)

Eric Kotz

Well, I don't want to go the Packet8 route because that alone will
cost more per month than we're spending on calling cards now.
This isn't meant to be 100% practical-odds are I will be spending more
on VoIP boxes than I ever would spend on calling cards. That's not
really the point of this, the point of it is stuff like this is how I
learn. Now that I know this is do-able, I'll get a pair of phones and
get them running.
As to why I don't want to sign up for a free account somewhere, I hate
relying on others. While it's not feasible for me to run fiber from
my appartment back to my house, if I could I would go that route.
Using those other services, even if they are free, means I have to
rely on one more person. Plus, I have less flexibility and learn less
about VoIP. If I configure a SIP gateway, it will be that much more
that I've learned.
Someone else mentioned the Creative Voice Blaster-unless I'm mistaken,
that's a USB solution-I don't want a USB solution. While the SIP
gateway will have to run on a computer, I want to be able to plug the
phone into a device that plugs right into my ethernet switch-no
computer required.

Thanks,
Eric Kotz
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed) (John R. Levine) wrote in message news:<bks6p0$dcc$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > I'm a college student and want to use a VOIP box of sometype (such
> > as a Cisco ATA-186) to be able to call my parents at home and vice
> > versa.

> I'd set them both up on FWD or sipphone. Then you can just call one
> from the other. They're both free, so why hassle with setting up your
> own server or progamming the phones to find each other?
>
> I see that sipphone will sell you a pair of Budgetone VoIP phones for
> $130. Has anyone used them? Are they any good?
>
> Another possibility would be to sign up for Packet8's $6/mo service
> with no bundled POTS minutes, since intranetwork calls are free. You
> have to pay the $6/mo, but the equipment is only $30.

NO SPAMMERS

You don't want VoPIBlaster mainly because it needs a host and you want
something that can access directly to a ethernet switch. My best suggestion
is to get a Cisco ATA-186 unit on each end and use the Free World Dialup
SIP service. If you can still find some Aplio/Pro (from Net2Phone site),
you might want to take a look at this site:

http://www.neolineas.com/wiki/showPage.yaws?node=home

and download its IP Finder server code to host it on one of your computer
for this Aplio/Pro.

--
NO_SPAMMERS