Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > IP phones and FQDNs

IP phones and FQDNs

Ed

Hi,
Are there any (or many) makes of hardware IP phone that allow you to
enter a text domain name, and then do a DNS to get the IP to call.

I've checked out the manual for the BudgeTone-100, and it only mentions text
encoding the first user@ part of the address.

It would seem to me useful, for example I could tell my customers with IP
phones that they could call me direct on http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Giving out a static
IP dosn't seem like a smart move incase I need to change my ISP.

Maybe I'm missing the point but the idea of direct IP calling seems to me
better than using a 3rd-party service like FWD.

Thanks

Ed

SPD

Ed:

Cisco phones support this. The FQDN can be an A record
or SRV record and point to a single phone or proxy
server.