Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Recording (Call Logging) and VoIP

Recording (Call Logging) and VoIP

Staffing

Hello,

We have a PBX based solution which has the functionality to record what our
services reps are talking with customers. Is there a VoIP based solution
that providers the same function. I guess because is analog we need to
record before the voice is digitized. I mean cant we record the TCP/IP
stream at the Router / Firewall location and then play back ?

Thanks

Jay

Arnold Ligtvoet

Staffing wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a PBX based solution which has the functionality to record what our
> services reps are talking with customers. Is there a VoIP based solution
> that providers the same function. I guess because is analog we need to
> record before the voice is digitized. I mean cant we record the TCP/IP
> stream at the Router / Firewall location and then play back ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jay

Yup you could. The 'problem' with this setup is that you would need to
use a span-port that gets all the traffic for the entire network, at
least in larger networks. I'm guessing you are thinking about a Cisco
CallManager, if so you could use rtpscan. This software is used to
capture and transform into wave files.

The problem with recording voip traffic comes from the fact that voip
endpoints (gateway's and phones) talk directly to each other once the
call is established via for instance the CallManager. In larger
companies (ie. networks) you would need quite an intelligent setup of
the span-port.

BTW rtpscan is no longer actively developed and the version I have
contains a bug. If you are willing to play with linux a bit it is pretty
easy to setup. Of course there are also commercial offers :
http://www.voiptimes.com/research/pr...ng_technology/

Arnold.

chris@nospam.com

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 22:00:45 -0700, "Staffing" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We have a PBX based solution which has the functionality to record what our
>services reps are talking with customers. Is there a VoIP based solution
>that providers the same function. I guess because is analog we need to
>record before the voice is digitized. I mean cant we record the TCP/IP
>stream at the Router / Firewall location and then play back ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Jay

You can record the RTP data stream as wav files. For Cisco, you need
to look at their call center software.

-Chris

Phil McKerracher

news:(E-Mail Removed)...