Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Anyone uses Speedtouch 510 with Cisco ATA 186 (Vonage)?

Anyone uses Speedtouch 510 with Cisco ATA 186 (Vonage)?

Olivier Travers

I'm trying to hook my Cisco ATA 186 provided by Vonage to my Alcatel
Speedtouch 510 ADSL modem/router/DHCP server/firewall/switch. The
Cisco box requires DCHP to be on (you can't assign it a static IP),
and a number of UDP ports to be opened. It's supposed to work behind
NAT by design.

I've turned the Speedtouch's DHCP server on, and indeed the Cisco's
voice admin interface (through the phone plugged into it, using the
80# command) reports that its assigned IP is 192.168.1.2 (set up
through a DHCP server lease with infinite TTL so that I can use it as
if it was a static IP address -- the Cisco was also able to get a DHCP
server lease when I removed the permanent record I had created for
it). I've set up udp forwarding rules at the NAT level, and I opened
the necessary ports in the Speedtouch's firewall but the Cisco device
still doesn't seem to connect to the Internet. I don't get a dial tone
on the phone, nor does it ring when I call my Vonage number (I get my
voicemail instead).

If anyone can help me put together that setup successfully, your
advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I've spent hours researching this
issue without success, and I must add I'm not a exactly a networking
wizard! Yes my phone is plugged into the Cisco's phone port #1. Yes I
can access the internet with my PCs through the same modem/router. Yes
my account is said to be active in Vonage's account web interface.

I've not opened the full 10000-20000 udp range since my modem doesn't
let me open ranges but rather single ports. I've opened and
NAT-forwarded ports 10000-10010, port 20000, as well as the other
necessary udp ports for tftp, ntp et al. (53, 69, 213, 5060, 5061).

For the record, my Ethernet and WiFi LAN is managed through a Linksys
BEFW11S4 AP (plugged into one of the Alcatel's Ethernet ports=) but
that part is not involved at all right now (i.e. I plugged the Cisco
into the Alcatel and DCHP is turned off on the Linksys) so I don't
think it could be related to my Vonage problem. I've tried to turn off
the AP since my 5.8GHz AT&T5830 apparently also uses the 2.4GHz range,
but that didn't change anything.

Julien PELISSIER

Hi

"Olivier Travers" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to hook my Cisco ATA 186 provided by Vonage to my Alcatel
> Speedtouch 510 ADSL modem/router/DHCP server/firewall/switch. The
> Cisco box requires DCHP to be on (you can't assign it a static IP),
> and a number of UDP ports to be opened. It's supposed to work behind
> NAT by design.
>
> I've turned the Speedtouch's DHCP server on, and indeed the Cisco's
> voice admin interface (through the phone plugged into it, using the
> 80# command) reports that its assigned IP is 192.168.1.2 (set up
> through a DHCP server lease with infinite TTL so that I can use it as
> if it was a static IP address -- the Cisco was also able to get a DHCP
> server lease when I removed the permanent record I had created for
> it). I've set up udp forwarding rules at the NAT level, and I opened
> the necessary ports in the Speedtouch's firewall but the Cisco device
> still doesn't seem to connect to the Internet.

If you try to put your PC with dhcp, could you access the internet ? The DNS
give by dhcp are good ?(I don't know if vonage use ip or dns name for the
sip proxy)...
You tried to "disable" the firewall to see if it's a port problem ?

> I don't get a dial tone
> on the phone, nor does it ring when I call my Vonage number (I get my
> voicemail instead).
>
> If anyone can help me put together that setup successfully, your
> advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I've spent hours researching this
> issue without success, and I must add I'm not a exactly a networking
> wizard! Yes my phone is plugged into the Cisco's phone port #1. Yes I
> can access the internet with my PCs through the same modem/router. Yes
> my account is said to be active in Vonage's account web interface.
>
> I've not opened the full 10000-20000 udp range since my modem doesn't
> let me open ranges but rather single ports. I've opened and
> NAT-forwarded ports 10000-10010, port 20000, as well as the other
> necessary udp ports for tftp, ntp et al. (53, 69, 213, 5060, 5061).
> For the record, my Ethernet and WiFi LAN is managed through a Linksys
> BEFW11S4 AP (plugged into one of the Alcatel's Ethernet ports=) but
> that part is not involved at all right now (i.e. I plugged the Cisco
> into the Alcatel and DCHP is turned off on the Linksys) so I don't
> think it could be related to my Vonage problem. I've tried to turn off
> the AP since my 5.8GHz AT&T5830 apparently also uses the 2.4GHz range,
> but that didn't change anything.

Sorry for my english ....i'm french. I had some troubles to make my ata
working fine, i just forwared 5060port and 10 other ports for the voice
flow.
look at it :
"The key with getting the NAT problem solved on the ATA-186 is to forward
the SIP port: 5060 to the IP address assigned to the IP phone and then to
forward the media port range 16384 to 16391 to the IP address assigned to
the IP Phone. The Cisco 7960 requires the media port range of 16384 to 32768
to be fowarded to the IP Phone. "
If it can help you ....

Julien.

Olle

Hi
All those problems could be avoided by the use of SIP enable
router/firewall.
We are using an IX66 with both ATA186 and 7960 and it works fine
especially (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...x66-airsip.asp)
together with the SIPCall service. There is a SIP PBX inbuilt that
dynamically controls the opening/closing of the firewall's
ports.(could also be use at your own SIP server.)
Might be an alternative!