Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Re: IOS 12.2(2)XB3 & audio codecs

Re: IOS 12.2(2)XB3 & audio codecs

RC

What Codecs are you looking for? My experience is that Cisco support more
then most. Now that I think of it, since the connection to the DMS100 is a
traditional T1 not an IP connection (is this correct), you have to use G711.
You could transcode in the router with say an H323 client running G729, but
that will use DSP resources (it's also the typical approach).

"SPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hello:
>
> We are using 2620's with a single port T1 VWIC as a gateway
> to the local DMS100. This gateway supports audio codecs:
>
> clear-channel Clear Channel 64000 bps
> g711alaw G.711 A Law 64000 bps
> g711ulaw G.711 u Law 64000 bps
> g723ar53 G.723.1 ANNEX-A 5300 bps
> g723ar63 G.723.1 ANNEX-A 6300 bps
> g723r53 G.723.1 5300 bps
> g723r63 G.723.1 6300 bps
> g726r16 G.726 16000 bps
> g726r24 G.726 24000 bps
> g726r32 G.726 32000 bps
> g728 G.728 16000 bps
> g729br8 G.729 ANNEX-B 8000 bps
> g729r8 G.729 8000 bps
> gsmefr GSMEFR 12200 bps
> gsmfr GSMFR 13200 bps
>
> I have a soft client that supports several codecs but the
> soft client and gateway only have G.711 ulaw in common.
> G.711 ulaw is broken in the soft client. So my question is
> this. Is there another version of IOS for this hardware that
> supports additional codecs?
>
> Thanks,Steve

SPD

RC:

The problem is that my soft client developer has problems with
their implementation of G.711. Calls through the Cisco Gateway
sound robotic with the speach broken. This is due to the soft client
trying to negotiate comfort noice despite even though the gateway
never offered it as a negotiable option. (rtp payload type 13).

I was trying to force the soft client to negotiate a different codec
for that call leg by placing G.711 at end of my list of prefered
voice codecs. But since I cannot specify a voice class codec
for a pots dial-peer so this approach didn't work.

Thanks for the feedback.
-Steve

RC

>What Codecs are you looking for? My experience is that Cisco support more
>then most. Now that I think of it, since the connection to the DMS100 is a
>traditional T1 not an IP connection (is this correct), you have to use G711.
>You could transcode in the router with say an H323 client running G729, but
>that will use DSP resources (it's also the typical approach).
>
>"SPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>Hello:
>>
>> We are using 2620's with a single port T1 VWIC as a gateway
>>to the local DMS100. This gateway supports audio codecs:
>>
>> clear-channel Clear Channel 64000 bps
>> g711alaw G.711 A Law 64000 bps
>> g711ulaw G.711 u Law 64000 bps
>> g723ar53 G.723.1 ANNEX-A 5300 bps
>> g723ar63 G.723.1 ANNEX-A 6300 bps
>> g723r53 G.723.1 5300 bps
>> g723r63 G.723.1 6300 bps
>> g726r16 G.726 16000 bps
>> g726r24 G.726 24000 bps
>> g726r32 G.726 32000 bps
>> g728 G.728 16000 bps
>> g729br8 G.729 ANNEX-B 8000 bps
>> g729r8 G.729 8000 bps
>> gsmefr GSMEFR 12200 bps
>> gsmfr GSMFR 13200 bps
>>
>> I have a soft client that supports several codecs but the
>>soft client and gateway only have G.711 ulaw in common.
>>G.711 ulaw is broken in the soft client. So my question is
>>this. Is there another version of IOS for this hardware that
>>supports additional codecs?
>>
>>Thanks,Steve

RC

I don't think you're trying to do anything different from anyone else, but
you approach might be off. The soft client should not be connecting to the
dial peer configured on the POTS line, instead it should connect to an H323
dial peer (you are using H323?)within the 2600. The 2600 would then "route"
the call to the pots circuit based on the destination address (which could
be that ALL calls go to the POTS circuit). The H323 side can be set to just
G729, the 2600 transcodes the signal, and the pots uses what it uses (as you
noticed, there is no choice). Make sure you have QoS set up and sufficient
DSP resources and you should be all set.

What is you 2600 hardware configuration? What do you have for DSPs? What is
the config of the 2600?

"SPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f59c5e4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> RC:
>
> The problem is that my soft client developer has problems with
> their implementation of G.711. Calls through the Cisco Gateway
> sound robotic with the speach broken. This is due to the soft client
> trying to negotiate comfort noice despite even though the gateway
> never offered it as a negotiable option. (rtp payload type 13).
>
> I was trying to force the soft client to negotiate a different codec
> for that call leg by placing G.711 at end of my list of prefered
> voice codecs. But since I cannot specify a voice class codec
> for a pots dial-peer so this approach didn't work.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
> -Steve
>
> RC
>
> >What Codecs are you looking for? My experience is that Cisco support more
> >then most. Now that I think of it, since the connection to the DMS100 is

> >traditional T1 not an IP connection (is this correct), you have to use

G711.
> >You could transcode in the router with say an H323 client running G729,

but
> >that will use DSP resources (it's also the typical approach).
> >
> >"SPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >>Hello:
> >>
> >> We are using 2620's with a single port T1 VWIC as a gateway
> >>to the local DMS100. This gateway supports audio codecs:
> >>
> >> clear-channel Clear Channel 64000 bps
> >> g711alaw G.711 A Law 64000 bps
> >> g711ulaw G.711 u Law 64000 bps
> >> g723ar53 G.723.1 ANNEX-A 5300 bps
> >> g723ar63 G.723.1 ANNEX-A 6300 bps
> >> g723r53 G.723.1 5300 bps
> >> g723r63 G.723.1 6300 bps
> >> g726r16 G.726 16000 bps
> >> g726r24 G.726 24000 bps
> >> g726r32 G.726 32000 bps
> >> g728 G.728 16000 bps
> >> g729br8 G.729 ANNEX-B 8000 bps
> >> g729r8 G.729 8000 bps
> >> gsmefr GSMEFR 12200 bps
> >> gsmfr GSMFR 13200 bps
> >>
> >> I have a soft client that supports several codecs but the
> >>soft client and gateway only have G.711 ulaw in common.
> >>G.711 ulaw is broken in the soft client. So my question is
> >>this. Is there another version of IOS for this hardware that
> >>supports additional codecs?
> >>
> >>Thanks,Steve

SPD

RC:

I'm using SIP not H.323 so that may or may not affect the default
behavior of dial-peers etc. I did expect the 2600 to transcode the
signal which is why I tried re-ordering the prefered codecs.

DSP resources are not something I am familiar with. I know
Cisco has a model for including DSP in devices then logically
pooling distributed DSPs together but we are not a big Cisco
shop so I have little more knowledge about DSP resources.
Can you explain how they can be configured/manipulated on
a 2620 with a T1 VWIC?

Thanks,
Steve

RC

>I don't think you're trying to do anything different from anyone else, but
>you approach might be off. The soft client should not be connecting to the
>dial peer configured on the POTS line, instead it should connect to an H323
>dial peer (you are using H323?)within the 2600. The 2600 would then "route"
>the call to the pots circuit based on the destination address (which could
>be that ALL calls go to the POTS circuit). The H323 side can be set to just
>G729, the 2600 transcodes the signal, and the pots uses what it uses (as you
>noticed, there is no choice). Make sure you have QoS set up and sufficient
>DSP resources and you should be all set.
>
>What is you 2600 hardware configuration? What do you have for DSPs? What is
>the config of the 2600?
>

>"SPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:3f59c5e4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>RC:
>>
>> The problem is that my soft client developer has problems with
>>their implementation of G.711. Calls through the Cisco Gateway
>>sound robotic with the speach broken. This is due to the soft client
>>trying to negotiate comfort noice despite even though the gateway
>>never offered it as a negotiable option. (rtp payload type 13).
>>
>> I was trying to force the soft client to negotiate a different codec
>>for that call leg by placing G.711 at end of my list of prefered
>>voice codecs. But since I cannot specify a voice class codec
>>for a pots dial-peer so this approach didn't work.
>>
>>Thanks for the feedback.
>>-Steve
>>
>>RC
>>

>>>What Codecs are you looking for? My experience is that Cisco support more
>>>then most. Now that I think of it, since the connection to the DMS100 is

>>>traditional T1 not an IP connection (is this correct), you have to use
>>>

>G711.
>

>>>You could transcode in the router with say an H323 client running G729,
>>>

>but
>

>>>that will use DSP resources (it's also the typical approach).
>>>
>>>"SPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

RC

I think it's time to see a config

"SPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> RC:
>
> I'm using SIP not H.323 so that may or may not affect the default
> behavior of dial-peers etc. I did expect the 2600 to transcode the
> signal which is why I tried re-ordering the prefered codecs.
>
> DSP resources are not something I am familiar with. I know
> Cisco has a model for including DSP in devices then logically
> pooling distributed DSPs together but we are not a big Cisco
> shop so I have little more knowledge about DSP resources.
> Can you explain how they can be configured/manipulated on
> a 2620 with a T1 VWIC?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> RC
>
> >I don't think you're trying to do anything different from anyone else,

but
> >you approach might be off. The soft client should not be connecting to

the
> >dial peer configured on the POTS line, instead it should connect to an

H323
> >dial peer (you are using H323?)within the 2600. The 2600 would then

"route"
> >the call to the pots circuit based on the destination address (which

could
> >be that ALL calls go to the POTS circuit). The H323 side can be set to

just
> >G729, the 2600 transcodes the signal, and the pots uses what it uses (as

you
> >noticed, there is no choice). Make sure you have QoS set up and

sufficient
> >DSP resources and you should be all set.
> >
> >What is you 2600 hardware configuration? What do you have for DSPs? What

is
> >the config of the 2600?
> >

> >"SPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:3f59c5e4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> >>RC:
> >>
> >> The problem is that my soft client developer has problems with
> >>their implementation of G.711. Calls through the Cisco Gateway
> >>sound robotic with the speach broken. This is due to the soft client
> >>trying to negotiate comfort noice despite even though the gateway
> >>never offered it as a negotiable option. (rtp payload type 13).
> >>
> >> I was trying to force the soft client to negotiate a different codec
> >>for that call leg by placing G.711 at end of my list of prefered
> >>voice codecs. But since I cannot specify a voice class codec
> >>for a pots dial-peer so this approach didn't work.
> >>
> >>Thanks for the feedback.
> >>-Steve
> >>
> >>RC

more

is

> >G711.

> >but

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Brassknight

is it possible that the T1 interface settings have wrong compand type ?

I have never worked with T1 interface, but with BRI interfaces, I have to
set up compand parameter as follows:

voice-port 2/0

compand-type a-law

As default Cisco uses u-law; if you use wrong setting, you hear a robotic
sound during call

hi

Matteo

news:3f6f4620$0$35562$(E-Mail Removed) m...

---