Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Software-only gateway?

Software-only gateway?

Greg Nolle

Hi everyone!

I've been hunting around this NG and a couple of others all day for an
answer to my query but I've come up with very little so far. I hope
that I haven't overlooked anything and I hope that my post is not
off-topic...

I'm looking for a way to set up a VoIP gateway so that I can make
phone calls through my landline when I'm away from the home, using a
VoIP client of some sort. Ideally it would also work the other way in
that calls coming through on the landline would be routed through to
the client. So far the only solution I've found is WinIVR
(www.winivr.com) which appears to do exactly what I want. Indeed, it
seemed absolutely perfect when I first found it but, alas, I can't get
it to work properly in full-duplex mode. I know for a fact that the
three different modems I've tried it with are all full-duplex and the
drivers are the most recent from the respective manufacturers.
However, I can still only get one "channel" to work -- speaking into
the computer comes out of the phone but speaking into the phone does
not come out of the computer. Has anyone else had similar experiences
and found a way to fix it?

Or are there any other software packages around that will do what I
want at a decent price? I'm only a student so I can't afford an
expensive hardware solution and such solutions seem overkill for what
I want.

The other solution I'm considering is the SIPCall (www.sipcall.co.uk)
service that someone mentioned in this group a few days ago. That
offers both incoming and outgoing PC-to-phone calls but their rates
are rather steep (almost 5p a minute for calls to landlines). And
obviously I couldn't use my current landline number with them.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Greg Nolle

Arnold Ligtvoet

Greg Nolle wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've been hunting around this NG and a couple of others all day for an
> answer to my query but I've come up with very little so far. I hope
> that I haven't overlooked anything and I hope that my post is not
> off-topic...
>
> I'm looking for a way to set up a VoIP gateway so that I can make
> phone calls through my landline when I'm away from the home, using a
> VoIP client of some sort. Ideally it would also work the other way in
> that calls coming through on the landline would be routed through to
> the client. So far the only solution I've found is WinIVR
> (www.winivr.com) which appears to do exactly what I want. Indeed, it
> seemed absolutely perfect when I first found it but, alas, I can't get
> it to work properly in full-duplex mode. I know for a fact that the
> three different modems I've tried it with are all full-duplex and the
> drivers are the most recent from the respective manufacturers.
> However, I can still only get one "channel" to work -- speaking into
> the computer comes out of the phone but speaking into the phone does
> not come out of the computer. Has anyone else had similar experiences
> and found a way to fix it?
>
> Or are there any other software packages around that will do what I
> want at a decent price? I'm only a student so I can't afford an
> expensive hardware solution and such solutions seem overkill for what
> I want.
>
> The other solution I'm considering is the SIPCall (www.sipcall.co.uk)
> service that someone mentioned in this group a few days ago. That
> offers both incoming and outgoing PC-to-phone calls but their rates
> are rather steep (almost 5p a minute for calls to landlines). And
> obviously I couldn't use my current landline number with them.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice,
>
> Greg Nolle

Hi Greg,

I don't know what you line-type is, but I have run ISDN2H323 succesfully
here. I have a linux based server with a simple, cheap ISDN board. This
is connected to my PBX. I have succesfully routed calls from the outside
to an H323 client on my network and routed calls from an H323 client to
the outside world.

The linux solution is cheap (ie. free) and H.323 is also free. The only
investments would be :
- ISDN board (this assuming that you have ISDN available)
- PC for use with linux (I ran it on a P3 700 if I remember correct).

Perhaps you can also find a simular package for analog modems/lines.

Arnold

Greg Nolle

Arnold Ligtvoet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi Greg,
>
> I don't know what you line-type is, but I have run ISDN2H323 succesfully
> here. I have a linux based server with a simple, cheap ISDN board. This
> is connected to my PBX. I have succesfully routed calls from the outside
> to an H323 client on my network and routed calls from an H323 client to
> the outside world.
>
> The linux solution is cheap (ie. free) and H.323 is also free. The only
> investments would be :
> - ISDN board (this assuming that you have ISDN available)
> - PC for use with linux (I ran it on a P3 700 if I remember correct).
>
> Perhaps you can also find a simular package for analog modems/lines.
>
> Arnold

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I do not have an
ISDN line and, since I have ADSL, it is not really possible/practical
to get one. But that program does seem to be the sort of thing I'm
looking for -- I just need one that supports analogue modems.

Thanks anyway,

Greg.

Peter

> Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately I do not have an
> ISDN line and, since I have ADSL, it is not really possible/practical
> to get one. But that program does seem to be the sort of thing I'm

Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same pair.
My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough, it won't do
full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you. ISDN cards can be had
very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch of additional services like
caller id, call waiting, call progress monitoring, fast connections etc.

Peter

Greg Nolle

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bjb5ia$ekak9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same pair.
> My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough, it won't do
> full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you. ISDN cards can be had
> very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch of additional services like
> caller id, call waiting, call progress monitoring, fast connections etc.
>
> Peter

I assume you mean that you have a seperate ADSL and ISDN line coming
into your house? What I meant was that you can't have, AFAIK, ADSL
activated on an ISDN line. Besides which, I've just checked BT's web
site and it appears that the cheapest ISDN rental is 23 month plus
275 connection. That's way out of my price range and makes the
SIPCall service seem cheap in comparison (I'm not going to be making
that many calls).

Greg.

Greg Nolle

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bjb5ia$ekak9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same pair.
> My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough, it won't do
> full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you. ISDN cards can be had
> very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch of additional services like
> caller id, call waiting, call progress monitoring, fast connections etc.
>
> Peter

Almost forgot to add: surely there must be some way of getting it to
work on a standard analog modem? Somebody must have got WinIVR, for
example, working as such otherwise they wouldn't say that the software
supports it.

Greg.

NOONE

Greg Nolle wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've been hunting around this NG and a couple of others all day for an
> answer to my query but I've come up with very little so far. I hope
> that I haven't overlooked anything and I hope that my post is not
> off-topic...
>
> I'm looking for a way to set up a VoIP gateway so that I can make
> phone calls through my landline when I'm away from the home, using a
> VoIP client of some sort. Ideally it would also work the other way in
> that calls coming through on the landline would be routed through to
> the client. So far the only solution I've found is WinIVR
> (www.winivr.com) which appears to do exactly what I want. Indeed, it
> seemed absolutely perfect when I first found it but, alas, I can't get
> it to work properly in full-duplex mode. I know for a fact that the
> three different modems I've tried it with are all full-duplex and the
> drivers are the most recent from the respective manufacturers.
> However, I can still only get one "channel" to work -- speaking into
> the computer comes out of the phone but speaking into the phone does
> not come out of the computer. Has anyone else had similar experiences
> and found a way to fix it?
>
> Or are there any other software packages around that will do what I
> want at a decent price? I'm only a student so I can't afford an
> expensive hardware solution and such solutions seem overkill for what
> I want.
>
> The other solution I'm considering is the SIPCall (www.sipcall.co.uk)
> service that someone mentioned in this group a few days ago. That
> offers both incoming and outgoing PC-to-phone calls but their rates
> are rather steep (almost 5p a minute for calls to landlines). And
> obviously I couldn't use my current landline number with them.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice,
>
> Greg Nolle

If you are running a Linux OS machine, you might want to look at the
following sites:

http://www.asterisk.org
http://www.OpenH323.org
http://www.GnuGK.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fobbit <=== for VoIPBlaster

Asterisk has a section for IVR. I don't know if it is a fully developed IVR
or not. For me, VoIPBlaster (VB) is more than sufficient. Therefore, Fobbit
software + driver are of my interests, YMMV.

--
NOONE

Tobias Erichsen

"Greg Nolle" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<bjb5ia$ekak9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> > Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same

pair.
> > My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough, it won't

do
> > full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you. ISDN cards can be

had
> > very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch of additional services

like
> > caller id, call waiting, call progress monitoring, fast connections etc.
> >
> > Peter

> I assume you mean that you have a seperate ADSL and ISDN line coming
> into your house? What I meant was that you can't have, AFAIK, ADSL
> activated on an ISDN line.

At least here in Germany it is common to have the combination ISDN/ADSL
coming
in from the provider on a single pair. As ISDN is very widely used here in
Germany, it
would have been a real bad thing is this was not possible. It might not be
offered in
other countries where ISDN is not so widely spread...

Tobias

peter

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Greg Nolle) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<bjb5ia$ekak9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
>> Why? I have both ADSL & ISDN coming into house... they share the same
>> pair. My impression is that no voice modem will perform well enough,
>> it won't do full duplex etc. Dedicated voice boards will cost you.
>> ISDN cards can be had very cheap, and will instantly give you bunch
>> of additional services like caller id, call waiting, call progress
>> monitoring, fast connections etc.

> I assume you mean that you have a seperate ADSL and ISDN line coming
> into your house? What I meant was that you can't have, AFAIK, ADSL
> activated on an ISDN line. Besides which, I've just checked BT's web
> site and it appears that the cheapest ISDN rental is 23 month plus
> 275 connection. That's way out of my price range and makes the
> SIPCall service seem cheap in comparison (I'm not going to be making
> that many calls).

Sure you can have ISDN & ADSL on the same line, there's a specific type
of line splitter in place. BT sounds like a total rip-off at that
cost... I'm paying equivalent of ~10GBP monthly which is about twice the
cost of regular line.

There was a poster on this NG couple of months ago selling single port
FXO cards for 70$ or so... these were Zaptel/Digium/whatever and are
supposed to work really well with Asterisk. Might be your best shot...

Peter

James Body

NOONE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<0Qx6b.376979$YN5.252752@sccrnsc01>...
> Greg Nolle wrote:
>
> > The other solution I'm considering is the SIPCall (www.sipcall.co.uk)
> > service that someone mentioned in this group a few days ago. That
> > offers both incoming and outgoing PC-to-phone calls but their rates
> > are rather steep (almost 5p a minute for calls to landlines). And
> > obviously I couldn't use my current landline number with them.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any advice,
> >
> > Greg Nolle

OK - 5p may appear a bit on the dear side, but remember that SIP<>SIP
and PSTN<>SIP calls are free - just ring up and get your friends to
ring you back!!

Saw an interesting little review of the Intertex AirSIP at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...x66-airsip.asp

SIPCall gets a good mention - it would appear to be reliable and high
quality connections. I have signed up for the SIPCall Basic service -
it works a dream!

James