Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Cordless VoIP

Cordless VoIP

hello_r

Does anyone know of a cordless VoIP phone with 2 lines (1 for PSTN and
the other for VoIP). VoIP could be connected through USB to a PC
running any VoIP software such as Netmeeting, Yahoo/MSN messenger or
dialpad...choose your pick.
There are a lot of USB to RJ11 connectors but they are quite expensive.
It would be nice to have similar product with a cordless phone built-in
under $100. Do you agree? Any openion?

hello_r

Beep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<rKxYa.59561$(E-Mail Removed). net>...
> hello_r wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a cordless VoIP phone with 2 lines (1 for PSTN and
> > the other for VoIP). VoIP could be connected through USB to a PC
> > running any VoIP software such as Netmeeting, Yahoo/MSN messenger or
> > dialpad...choose your pick.
> > There are a lot of USB to RJ11 connectors but they are quite expensive.
> > It would be nice to have similar product with a cordless phone built-in
> > under $100. Do you agree? Any openion?

> Defintely. I haven't seen any FXS/FXO devices that come with a cordless
> phone built-in. However, I do see lots of these devices that one can
> connect mostly any phone, i.e. keyphone, cordless phone, regular phone,
> etc. So, I guessed what you want is an FXS/FXO device and attached with a
> cordless phone or may be you were looking for an IP-Phone that has an
> external RJ11 to attach a second phone, i.e. cordless phone.

Actually, I am developing a cordless VoIP phone with a PSTN and
USB intereface all built in. This unit can also do a FXS to FXO conversion
and many other functions. Though it sounds very good in my head, I need
to know what's the general view in the community.
Based on my intial work, it should be under $100 mark to the end user.
Any advice/opnion please. Thanks in advance.

Beep

hello_r wrote:

> Beep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<rKxYa.59561$(E-Mail Removed). net>...
>> hello_r wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know of a cordless VoIP phone with 2 lines (1 for PSTN and
>> > the other for VoIP). VoIP could be connected through USB to a PC
>> > running any VoIP software such as Netmeeting, Yahoo/MSN messenger or
>> > dialpad...choose your pick.
>> > There are a lot of USB to RJ11 connectors but they are quite expensive.
>> > It would be nice to have similar product with a cordless phone built-in
>> > under $100. Do you agree? Any openion?

>> Defintely. I haven't seen any FXS/FXO devices that come with a cordless
>> phone built-in. However, I do see lots of these devices that one can
>> connect mostly any phone, i.e. keyphone, cordless phone, regular phone,
>> etc. So, I guessed what you want is an FXS/FXO device and attached with a
>> cordless phone or may be you were looking for an IP-Phone that has an
>> external RJ11 to attach a second phone, i.e. cordless phone.

> Actually, I am developing a cordless VoIP phone with a PSTN and
> USB intereface all built in. This unit can also do a FXS to FXO conversion
> and many other functions. Though it sounds very good in my head, I need
> to know what's the general view in the community.
> Based on my intial work, it should be under $100 mark to the end user.
> Any advice/opnion please. Thanks in advance.

I have been exposed to VoIP technology for about three years now (could have
had more if I were willing to spend about $100 for the device).

I started out by purchasing a close out device called Aplio/Phone for $25
each and was pretty happy with it. Then, when Creative Labs had closed out
its product called VoIPBlaster (VB) for $10/each, I went to get about 20
units. Right now, I have replaced Aplio/Phone with the VB devices and am
very happy with it. Like I said before, I could go with an FXO device;
however, I decided not to mainly because the cost of an inexpensive FXO
device (about 475) is still pretty high in my consideration. I definitely
won't consider to spending about $100 for your device. At most, I will give
it a try if your device is < $50. Please don't get me wrong. Right now, I
have an old i386/20MHz Linux OSed computer running asterisk with about 3
voice modems to serve as my needs for VoIP to receive/call land lines. I
inherited this machine from some friends with the modems and costed almost
nothing, except electricity to operate (fraction of my broadband and
telephone connections). Maintenance is almost nothing.

hello_r

Beep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<9LMYa.96561$o%2.43482@sccrnsc02>...
> hello_r wrote:
>
> > Beep <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:<rKxYa.59561$(E-Mail Removed). net>...

> >> Defintely. I haven't seen any FXS/FXO devices that come with a cordless
> >> phone built-in. However, I do see lots of these devices that one can
> >> connect mostly any phone, i.e. keyphone, cordless phone, regular phone,
> >> etc. So, I guessed what you want is an FXS/FXO device and attached with a
> >> cordless phone or may be you were looking for an IP-Phone that has an
> >> external RJ11 to attach a second phone, i.e. cordless phone.

> > Actually, I am developing a cordless VoIP phone with a PSTN and
> > USB intereface all built in. This unit can also do a FXS to FXO conversion
> > and many other functions. Though it sounds very good in my head, I need
> > to know what's the general view in the community.
> > Based on my intial work, it should be under $100 mark to the end user.
> > Any advice/opnion please. Thanks in advance.

> I have been exposed to VoIP technology for about three years now (could have
> had more if I were willing to spend about $100 for the device).
>
> I started out by purchasing a close out device called Aplio/Phone for $25
> each and was pretty happy with it. Then, when Creative Labs had closed out
> its product called VoIPBlaster (VB) for $10/each, I went to get about 20
> units. Right now, I have replaced Aplio/Phone with the VB devices and am
> very happy with it. Like I said before, I could go with an FXO device;
> however, I decided not to mainly because the cost of an inexpensive FXO
> device (about 475) is still pretty high in my consideration. I definitely
> won't consider to spending about $100 for your device. At most, I will give
> it a try if your device is < $50. Please don't get me wrong. Right now, I
> have an old i386/20MHz Linux OSed computer running asterisk with about 3
> voice modems to serve as my needs for VoIP to receive/call land lines. I
> inherited this machine from some friends with the modems and costed almost
> nothing, except electricity to operate (fraction of my broadband and
> telephone connections). Maintenance is almost nothing.

Thanks so much for your response. I really want an honest opinion
since I am actually spending money on this project. As far as asterisk
machines are considered, I would love to put-up a system like yours. i
am not too familier with Asterisk yet but I am sure some digging could
help. If you don't mind, I may ask you for help in-case i fall into
unsolvable trouble.
Thanks for your response and hope to receive some more opinions from
other active folks on this forum.

hello_r

Hello Beep,
Pardon my ignorance but I can not see the "Reply" field.
Anyhow, I do have a question for you.
Are you connecting all the VoIP blasters to a single system? I
suppose, you are using a single asterisk box with some sort of USB
extension board to expand to ~20 VoIPBlasters. Is that right?
Does that mean that there is no way for you to dial an outside (POTS)
line? I would be curious to know your set-up.
My main goal is to create a system such that:

1.) 2 FXOs
2.) 2 FXS
3.) Asterisk box
4.) SIP client such that a remote PC can access POTs connected through
my FXOs on asterisk box.
5.) Some kind of billing/user management tool.

The goal is very ambitious but the more I read about asterisk, the
easier its getting. Plus, help from seasoned gurus such as yourself
can get me going in no time.

Thanks a bunch to everyone who is contributing to this thread.